CO2 regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ztp

Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question, but are the regulators used for kegging the same as used for cutting torches and what not? I just so happen to have several of these regulators, and would like to cut costs down when I decide to start kegging. Thanks in advance.

Possibly a dumb question, but are the regulators used for kegging the same as used for cutting torches and what not? I just so happen to have several of these regulators, and would like to cut costs down when I decide to start kegging. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately no. The gas regulators typically used for welders and torches are flow regulators. For carbonating and serving beer you need a pressure regulator.

CO2 regulators and O2 regulators use different threads (left and right turn) to keep people from confusing them...

The O2 regulator I have is pressure/PSI not flow. If you have a CO2 regulator from something like electric welding (mine is from a gas welding rig) then it could be different. I will say that the nipples on the regulators to feed the lines can be different. But, you can get the correct fitting and install it if you really wish. I did that on my O2 regulator so that I could use it with my oxygenation wand from Williams Brewing... I have another regulator coming with a flow meter on it, so that I can see what the L/M flow is.

Personally, if the regulator is all PSI then you could give it a shot. If it's not PSI, though, at the very least you'll need to change the low pressure gauge on the body. IMO, it's easier to simply purchase a new regulator configured for kegging. Especially with how hard it was to remove the simple gas out nipple on my O2 regulator...

The O2 regulator I have is pressure/PSI not flow.

Personally, if the regulator is all PSI then you could give it a shot. If it's not PSI, though, at the very least you'll need to change the low pressure gauge on the body. IMO, it's easier to simply purchase a new regulator configured for kegging. Especially with how hard it was to remove the simple gas out nipple on my O2 regulator...

Just because it reads in PSI doesn't make it a true pressure regulator. And changing the gauge out on a flow regulator won't make it useable for serving beer. The way the diaphragm works is different, and while it may appear to work at first, it will slowly let a small amount of gas through, and the pressure will steadily climb. Unless you want to continually adjust the pressure on your kegs a couple times a day, get a regulator that was designed to do the job.

Just because it reads in PSI doesn't make it a true pressure regulator. And changing the gauge out on a flow regulator won't make it useable for serving beer. The way the diaphragm works is different, and while it may appear to work at first, it will slowly let a small amount of gas through, and the pressure will steadily climb. Unless you want to continually adjust the pressure on your kegs a couple times a day, get a regulator that was designed to do the job.

I'm NOT changing the regulator configuration, but getting one MADE to show L/M from the start (medical use)... I ONLY use the O2 regulator when oxygenating my wort, NOT on kegs (that would just be stupid)... I DO use regulators purpose built for kegging (which is what I DO advise doing)... I've been using the O2 regulator for the past several batches, to oxygenate prior to pitching the yeast. I've used visual indicators to decide how far to open the regulator up. Soon, I'll be able to see how much gas is actually comeing through the setup, without needing visual indicators...

IMO, it's simply not worth saving a few dollars monkeying around with regulators, getting spotty results. Get one MADE to do the job right and be done with it.

BTW, I would NEVER advise someone 'adapt' an O2 regulator for use with CO2. I also wouldn't advise pulling a welding regulator over to kegging. UNLESS you have 100% proof positive that it will feed gas properly, better off just sucking it up and getting a brand new one. Besides, who knows how much use that welding regulator has seen (and abuse too).

Ok well thanks. I wasn't sure because I have regulators, new and old, for both mig welding and for a torch. I know mig welding can use co2 argon mix, so I was not sure if those types could be used. I was just curious if they basically the same thing and apparently they are not. Thanks for the information though.

Back