CO2 regulator problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walcotteric

Reaction score
Having an issue that I think is related to my CO2 regulator, or the connection between my regulator and my CO2 tank. No matter what happens, even with the CO2 tank closed, the pressure seems to be almost constantly increasing on my regulator.

See pictures attached, there's about an hour difference between the first at 0 pressure, and the 3rd one.

I've verified that it's not just a faulty reading from the regulator, because when I hooked it up to my keg and left it overnight (before I realized I had a problem), I tried pouring a beer the next day and all I got was foam.

I really have no idea what happened, as I didn't disconnect the regulator or adjust anything between the last time I used the keg, and this current time. I used the keg to bottle on Friday, filled the keg on Sunday and turned the CO2 back on to pressurize it, and that's when my problems began.

20170404_214007.jpg

20170404_204821.jpg

20170404_213949.jpg

Forgot to add, the CO2 should be at just under 10 PSI. That's what I'd set it at with my last beer, and I hadn't touched the adjuster since reconnecting it.

Could be a breached diaphragm, could just be a bit of cruft stuck in the pin valve. I've had both happen.

For the latter...if you close the cylinder valve, remove all tubing from the regulator, fully open the shut-off valve, turn the pressure knob clockwise multiple turns (like you were setting an extraordinarily high pressure), then get a good grip on the cylinder and open the cylinder valve to create a couple/few short blasts...it should clear anything trapped in the pin valve.

If that doesn't work, you may need to replace the diaphragm with a rebuild kit...

Cheers!

Could be a breached diaphragm, could just be a bit of cruft stuck in the pin valve. I've had both happen.

For the latter...if you close the cylinder valve, remove all tubing from the regulator, fully open the shut-off valve, turn the pressure knob clockwise multiple turns (like you were setting an extraordinarily high pressure), then get a good grip on the cylinder and open the cylinder valve to create a couple/few short blasts...it should clear anything trapped in the pin valve.

If that doesn't work, you may need to replace the diaphragm with a rebuild kit...

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that when I get home.

Latest posts

Back