co2/regulator help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
1) I just got my kegging kit. Wicked NOOB to using the co2 tank and regulator. Which guage tells me the ps1 of the keg and the one on how much is left in the tank.

2) I just filled it on wenesday and now its empty. I left it open full to 30 psi to carb up pils for 2 day and then dropped to 13 psi to serve. What am I doing wrong.
Do I leave the tank open all the time and how does the regulator work? thanks in advanced to this (probably dumb) question.

Agreed... and, just in case of a leak, I carb the kegs up to whatever pressure I want them, then turn off the gas at the tank in between sessions of active usage.

IMPORTANT!! Always keep your CO2 tank in the upright position when in use. It contains gas over liquid. You want to regulate the gas in order to pressurize your kegs. If you tip it over...liquid could enter the lines...and cause a dangerous overpessure situation to occur in your Beer kegs.

If you're new to the regulator...

I'm just checking...

Did you use a paper or plastic washer between the seat on the regulator stem...and the set on the CO2 Tank Valve?

With any new setup...it's a good idea to check for leaks.

1) make a solution of dishwashing detergent and water...and have a handfull of q-tips or a small paintbrush handy.

2) Connect the regulator to the tank with the proper washer between the seating surfaces. ( NOTE: Some Tank Valves have O-Rings in the seating surface and don't require a washer)

3) Back out the adjustment screw on the regulator...and close the shutoff valve to your Hose fitting if it has one.

4) Open the Valve on the Tank. You should register Pressure on the Gauge directly in line with the tank stem. (0-2000 psi gauge usually) and it should read between 500-1200 psi depending on the ambient temperature of the tank.

5) Brush soap solution where your tank and regulator join, where the tank stem meets the regulator body, and where the High Pressure gauge meets the regulator body. There should be no bubbles. Also check the overpressure relief on the regulator body to make sure the valve is seated and not leaking.

6) If you're good up to that point...screw in the adjustment screw to read 30 psi on the Low Pressure gauge (0-30, 0-60, 0-100, 0-160...depending on the model) Now brush solution on the joint between the low pressure gauge and the regulator body. Brush solution on the joint between the regulator body and the shutoff valve/hose barb.

7) check the weep hole on the regulator cover...just a little solution there to see if it's bubbling. It shouldn't unless your in the process of setting a lower pressure setting on the regulator.

8) If you're good up to this point...you can open the shutoff vavle...and check the hose barb fittings, and the disconnect fitting.

9) If you're good up to this point...you're probably having a problem with the keg. O-ring leaking, relief valve leaking.

Let us know if you find the leak...hopefully it will be easy to find.

Depending on your tank...it should carbonate and dispense multiple 5 gal kegs...

Another important note... Weigh your tank empty! Weigh it again after it gets filled. This is the most accurate method of determining your CO2 qty. I've taken my 5# bottle to the local keg store...and the woman that runs the place has no idea what she's doing. After a "fill"...I find that I'm lucky to get even 2# of CO2 from her. It's best to get them filled from a place that has a pump. Or even a person with a transfer whip if they know that they're doing.

I gotta check for leaks. the tank has always been upright. I think that from where the gauge screws on, I didnt put any washer. Just screwed it to the tank. There might be the prob if I'm reading this correctly. Thanks for all youe help!

Latest posts

Back