CO2 in solution and hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onkel_Udo

Reaction score
So my current beer has a lot of grains that promote head retention and body. It fermented at about 58 f air temperature using S-04 for 7 days and was still mildly active when I moved it upstairs to my bathroom with the heated floor. It spent 4 days there and airlock activity ceased yesterday.

I keep my house at about 61 f so the beer, now in my walk in closet will still need a week or two to clean up after itself but my FG readings are mildly concerning. I know it will still be a great beer but...

Before the 4 days in the bathroom I was getting a 1.023. It took a FULL day for the CO2 to come out of solution to get that reading. Today's reading is 1.020 and again lots of CO2 in solution even though the (surface) beer temp is about 63 f. FG should be about 1.015-1.017.

How much do those annoyingly clingy bubbles in a full-bodied beer skew the FG reading? I will naturally leave the sample until the morning to check again but I am thinking the S-04 floc'ed out early. Might need to rouse them and move it to the bathroom again.

Yes, I know my fermentation temperature control is crude but until my remote thermometer pooped out I really could use various spots in the basement to accurately control fermentation temps even with the volatile S-04.

Again, I would not care if the whole batch was being kegged but I plan to bottle two cases of this 10 gallon batch for the next race.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just spin the hydrometer to get the bubble off and take the reading. If it's something that really bothers you, just pull your sample and agitate the hell out of it to get the co2 out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just spin the hydrometer to get the bubble off and take the reading. If it's something that really bothers you, just pull your sample and agitate the hell out of it to get the co2 out.

I this case, both the early and later samples had, um, excessive head retention malts. I really had an issue until the next day getting an accurate reading. At one point I even shook the ample int he teat jar to volcanic effects.

Back