CO2 gauge readings are off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
I have a weird issue with my Czo2 gauges. I noticed that after changing my tank gauge from a gauge from harbor freight it seemed to worked perfectly. I noticed that the gauge was pegged most of the time and didn't really go down for a few kegs and my keg gauges are working great. But I just noticed that the tank gauge is reading still 75% full and the keg gauge is reading at 8 psi. No co2 though seems present in the tank. I finally unhooked it and it's clear there is no co2 in there unless it's frozen or something because I store it in the fridge with the beer. Stranger thing is that after I unhooked it the gauges are still residing the exact same even with the tank unhooked?! I'm thinking they may be frozen but I just don't think they would freeze all of the sudden. Anyone have this issue before?

I'd help you out, but I can hardly make sense of what you're saying.

Your high pressure gauge is stuck? Or both are stuck? Did you replace the gauge or the actual regulator (full thing) from a harbor freight one or to? The way you typed this, it's difficult to make sense of.

I live in Oregon city, bring it over sometime, and I can check it out.

One thing to keep in mind, high pressure gauges are almost always pointless. They won't change until the keg is empty. A you can't expect to see it go down like the gas tank gauge on a car.

Is there anything in the tank? Try pressing the pin in with your finger or a pen. If there's anything in the tank you shouldn't be able to.
It sounds like you got more than a few kegs out of your cylinder.

I'd help you out, but I can hardly make sense of what you're saying.

Your high pressure gauge is stuck? Or both are stuck? Did you replace the gauge or the actual regulator (full thing) from a harbor freight one or to? The way you typed this, it's difficult to make sense of.

I live in Oregon city, bring it over sometime, and I can check it out.

One thing to keep in mind, high pressure gauges are almost always pointless. They won't change until the keg is empty. A you can't expect to see it go down like the gas tank gauge on a car.

Sorry. I realize I should have been a bit more detailed or reword it.
I replaced the gauge that tells me the tank pressure from a harbor freight gauge that had a higher psi rating than those gauges you would normally see on the beer C02 gauge kits. Pretty sure this is it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/160-psi-dry-gauge-68249.html

The other gauge that came with the regulator is fine and functions when I push more Co2 to the tanks. My issue is that the Harbor freight one is didnt go all the way down to 0 like a gas tank. Just stopped at a certain number (not sitting right next to it to check. Ill take pics later.) So now currently its completely disconnected from any tanks, and my tank gauge from harbor freight still isnt going down to 0 and neither is the gauge that shows the keg psi (it still reads 8 psi, serving pressure)

Does this make more sense?

Sorry. I realize I should have been a bit more detailed or reword it.
I replaced the gauge that tells me the tank pressure TO a harbor freight gauge that had a higher psi rating than those gauges you would normally see on the beer C02 gauge kits. Pretty sure this is it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/160-psi-dry-gauge-68249.html

The other gauge that came with the regulator is fine and functions when I push more Co2 to the tanks. My issue is that the Harbor freight one is didnt go all the way down to 0 like a gas tank. Just stopped at a certain number (not sitting right next to it to check. Ill take pics later.) So now currently its completely disconnected from any tanks, and my tank gauge from harbor freight still isnt going down to 0 and neither is the gauge that shows the keg psi (it still reads 8 psi, serving pressure)

Does this make more sense?

ok, so you replaced your HIGH pressure gauge (the one that connects to the high pressure side of the regulator and tells you how much pressure there is inside the tank) TO the cheap harbor freight gauge (you're using the word from and that makes me think you replaced the cheap harbor freight gauge with a different one, but that's beside the point) . And it is sticking at a certain pressure even when disconnected. I got it now... I'm not trying to be condescending, but I want you to understand why it's hard to understand what you're asking.

ya, take the gauge back. First of all It's a crapy harbor freight one. Second of all, you replaced a high pressure gauge with a 160psi gauge. Your tank probably blew that gauge since your tank puts out ~800 psi.

Go to a welding supply shop and spend about twice as much ($10-12) for a better gauge. Harbor freight stuff is crap 90% of the time. It should go down to 0 when it is disconnected from the tank.

ok, so you replaced your HIGH pressure gauge (the one that connects to the high pressure side of the regulator and tells you how much pressure there is inside the tank) TO the cheap harbor freight gauge (you're using the word from and that makes me think you replaced the cheap harbor freight gauge with a different one, but that's beside the point) . And it is sticking at a certain pressure even when disconnected. I got it now... I'm not trying to be condescending, but I want you to understand why it's hard to understand what you're asking.

ya, take the gauge back. First of all It's a crapy harbor freight one. Second of all, you replaced a high pressure gauge with a 160psi gauge. Your tank probably blew that gauge since your tank puts out ~800 psi.

Go to a welding supply shop and spend about twice as much ($10-12) for a better gauge. Harbor freight stuff is crap 90% of the time. It should go down to 0 when it is disconnected from the tank.

Thank you. Yes you are correct. I took a look at it and it goes to 300 psi. I'm not sure what the hell I was thinking since the normal ones read up to about 2000. Oh we'll. I will replace it. I just got a refill ( new tank) from above the rest home brewing ( you may have heard of them:) ). And the gauge that reads the keg pressure is working and the other is pegged. I'm not sure why I didn't think " hey this gauge is pegged past the point of numbers....hmmm." I really appreciate your help.

image.jpg

ya man, I got to ATR off Foster. Sharon (owner) knows me by name over there. It's a great shop... I assume you go to their other location off hwy 99 (just off 217) where Matt is.

funny thing is I was just there off Foster today. I picked up some silicon tubing, yeast, hops and some specialty grain... I'm brewing up a grapefruit wheat this weekend.

I drive by their other location off 99 almost daily while i'm interning at Platt electric at their main headquarters off Allen blvd. (I'm an computer science major getting a degree in network administration)

I might swing by the tigard ATR on my way home before class tomorrow. I need to get some US05. I decided to do a double brew this weekend. I'm going to do a Cream of Three as well.

We're leaving on Vacation at the end of July, so I need to get the portable kegerator stocked and time has been limited for brewing, so why not squeeze in a double double (20 + gallons)

Anyway... If you need any other equipment, hit me up. I have so much gear and i'm always selling stuff. I have tons of kegging gear and other things.

ya man, I got to ATR off Foster. Sharon (owner) knows me by name over there. It's a great shop... I assume you go to their other location off hwy 99 (just off 217) where Matt is.

funny thing is I was just there off Foster today. I picked up some silicon tubing, yeast, hops and some specialty grain... I'm brewing up a grapefruit wheat this weekend.

I drive by their other location off 99 almost daily while i'm interning at Platt electric at their main headquarters off Allen blvd. (I'm an computer science major getting a degree in network administration)

I might swing by the tigard ATR on my way home before class tomorrow. I need to get some US05. I decided to do a double brew this weekend. I'm going to do a Cream of Three as well.

We're leaving on Vacation at the end of July, so I need to get the portable kegerator stocked and time has been limited for brewing, so why not squeeze in a double double (20 + gallons)

Anyway... If you need any other equipment, hit me up. I have so much gear and i'm always selling stuff. I have tons of kegging gear and other things.

Oh yeah I know Sharon.. Shes funny. Matt I talk to all the time. So weird.

I'd love to see what epuip you have. I'm building plans for a brutus 10 now and just got in a 30 plate chiller that I cant wait to try out. Weird thing is the company apparently thought they never sent it to me and shipped me two of them!!!!

Are you adding the gauge because you want to monitor what is left in your tank? In the first post you mentioned it reading "75% full" - but you can't tell that on a liquid CO2 tank. The pressure doesn't correlate with how much liquid CO2 is left in the tank, it correlates with the temperature of the tank. It will stay at that pressure until all the liquid CO2 is gone and then rapidly fall - with a 5 lb tank that pretty much means no warning before you're out. With a 20lb tank you get slightly more warning if you're paying attention (I managed to see it falling once). To tell how much is left in the tank you need to weigh it.

Back