Co2 Efficiency warm vs cold temperature, any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
So I was looking on craigslist.org for a 1/2 brl kegerator for a buddy of mine when I stumbled across posting for a kegerator, and the listing said the the Co2 tank is stored outside the kegerator, and that if if the Co2 tank is stored outside the kegerator that the life/use of the Co2 will be longer than storing the tank inside a kegerator/fridge. Is there any validity in this statement? I really don't have an option to relocate the Co2 tank outside my kegerator, but was just curious about the whole temp efficiency thing.

It's bull. Pay no attention. The tank is probably too large to fit inside and that is the reason they made that claim. Would make me wary of the whole deal. Be sure to check the certification date on the tank and act accordingly.

I've heard the same thing that co2 will last longer if you keep it outside the kegerator. I think it's just a myth. The physics of it wouldn't make sense.

It should last slightly longer as the CO2 expands at higher temp. So maybe you could push an extra oz of beer or so....i.e. it is negligible.

Are you sure they didn't mean that the regulator would last longer? Just a thought...

Regulators last a very long time, or at least they should last a long time. They are very simple devices and if properly mainainted, there is not a whole lot that can go wrong. The rubber diaphram is the most susceptible to wear, tear and/or exposure to the beverage if it backs up for any reason. Most regulators are very easy to take apart for inspection, cleaning etc. I do it routinely just to be sure I'm not blowing nasty stuff into my beer along with the CO2. I have one very old regulator that I resurrected from the dead with just a good cleaning and some food grade silicone spray. The silicone restored the diaphragm flexibility so it would seal properly. IMO, the check valves on the regulators can be somewhat hit or miss. I've had beer make it back past the check valve on occasion. I'm not sure why that happens, as it shouldn't. I now take care to make sure that the gas line pressure is higher than the keg pressure when hooking up and the ball valve on the regulator is open, especially if the keg is very full where the short gas in dip tube is submerged or partially submerged.

I have also heard that regulators tend to read lower CO2 levels if the CO2 tank and regulator are stored at cold temperatures. I believe this is true as I had mine my kegerator, it was reading "order gas", so I took it out, let it warm up and the reading rose a considerable amount.

Regulators last a very long time, or at least they should last a long time. They are very simple devices and if properly mainainted, there is not a whole lot that can go wrong. The rubber diaphram is the most susceptible to wear, tear and/or exposure to the beverage if it backs up for any reason. Most regulators are very easy to take apart for inspection, cleaning etc. I do it routinely just to be sure I'm not blowing nasty stuff into my beer along with the CO2. I have one very old regulator that I resurrected from the dead with just a good cleaning and some food grade silicone spray. The silicone restored the diaphragm flexibility so it would seal properly. IMO, the check valves on the regulators can be somewhat hit or miss. I've had beer make it back past the check valve on occasion. I'm not sure why that happens, as it shouldn't. I now take care to make sure that the gas line pressure is higher than the keg pressure when hooking up and the ball valve on the regulator is open, especially if the keg is very full where the short gas in dip tube is submerged or partially submerged.

I totally agree with you Catt22. I was only suggesting that the Craigs lister was talking about the regulator and not the gas.

Dave

I have also heard that regulators tend to read lower CO2 levels if the CO2 tank and regulator are stored at cold temperatures. I believe this is true as I had mine my kegerator, it was reading "order gas", so I took it out, let it warm up and the reading rose a considerable amount.

You may remember from High School chemistry that PV=nRT. The partial pressure of the CO2 in the head space of the cylinder changes with temperature.

Un-hunh.

Back