CO2 Backup suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
Hi All-

Excited to be tapping my 2 Oktoberfest brews in 3 weeks. I should be okay on my 5lb CO2 tank with carbonating and serving (carbed and served 4 kegs so far and filled handful of bottles/growlers with beer gun), but. . . . I'd rather not be mid party and run out which would be very depressing.

So, what do you guys suggest keeping on hand for a emergency such as this? Would rather not get another 5lb CO2 tank. I discovered the soda keg chargers with the 16g CO2 cartridges.

Is this a good way to go for an emergency backup? How exactly does it work?

Thanks all!

I have a 20lb tank with a 5lb as my emergency. I don't think the 16g cartridges will get you very far; as I recall I needed 2 to dispense a gallon of already carbonated beer from a mini-keg (but they did not seal very well so....)

I have a 20lb tank with a 5lb as my emergency. I don't think the 16g cartridges will get you very far; as I recall I needed 2 to dispense a gallon of already carbonated beer from a mini-keg (but they did not seal very well so....)
That could be quite the issue if it's a bad seal. On northern brewer it says it takes about 2-5 to dispense a 5 gallon keg...that's quite the range haha

Same here. 20 lb for the keezer, and a 5 lb for kegging, and as a backup. For anything that can run out, I always like to have at least one backup. Other option is to just go get the tank refilled, that way you know you wont run out.

Same here. 20 lb for the keezer, and a 5 lb for kegging, and as a backup. For anything that can run out, I always like to have at least one backup. Other option is to just go get the tank refilled, that way you know you wont run out.
I thought about that...but as is CO2 tanks..you don't have a great idea of how much is left...would hate to have them empty out what may be plenty left.

I recommend springing for a 20 lb tank ASAP. If your gas prices are any where like my area the gas is cheep but the refill cost is high. My 5# tank is $20 to fill but my 20# is $24... go figure.

You might check Craigslist if you're near a place where there are significant posters of for-sale items. Around here (Dubuque IA, Madison WI) I see stuff like that offered on a regular basis.

Look to see what new costs, and offer accordingly for used. One caveat: CO2 tanks need to be recertified every 5 years. Date of last recertification should be stamped on the tank. If you buy a tank out of cert, you'll have to pay for it to be tested and recertified, and then filled with CO2.

How much that costs can vary by place. I had a 10# tank recertified and filled, cost me about $38. That was in Dubuque IA. So factor that in.

EDIT: BTW, some people use Paintball tanks for CO2; there's an adapter you can use. That would get you an emergency backup with enough "oomph" to dispense a 5-gallon keg if necessary.

I'm happy with my KegCo mini regulator. I use it for multiple things but it should make a pretty good emergency backup. Prices have gone way up since I got mine though. There are cheaper but similar alternatives as well. Mine takes the big 74g cartridges and while I haven't tested them for it, they say they should pour a 1/4bbl per cartridge.

https://www.kegco.com/draft-beer-equipment/regulators-gas-equipment/ns-amr/

I thought about that...but as is CO2 tanks..you don't have a great idea of how much is left...would hate to have them empty out what may be plenty left.

By weight is how you tell. The empty weight of your tank is stamped in the neck. They won't empty the tank, they just wont have to put in a full 5 lbs when you fill up. For what a 5 lb fill up costs around here ($12), I'd do it for piece of mind while hosting the party. Then go get a 10 or 20 lb tank that doesn't cost much more to fill ($22/20 lb.)

Latest posts

Back