Co-pitching yeasts with different ideal temp ranges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLump

Reaction score
So I plan on brewing a funky Belgian style beer similar to Praire-Vous Francais, if you've ever had it. My plan is to co-pitch WY3724 and Brett B. On paper WY3724 has a temperature range of 70-95 while WYeast's Brett B. has a range of 60-75. Obviously there is a little over lap but these yeasts have pretty different temperature ranges.

How should I approach this? Should I first pitch the 3724 in the 80's, cool it off and then pitch the brett? I recently had a batch turn out with some fusels so I really dont want to stress the brett out with too warm of temps. I also want a fair amount of brett funk so I would like to pitch the brett as soon into the fermentation as I can.

I guess my question applies to any situation when co-pitching yeasts with different ideal temperature ranges.

OR, if anyone has any suggestions of different yeast(s) to use to achieve what I want that would be great too.

Thanks.

Back