Cluster hops - why are they not more popular?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OswaldvW

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of people complain about cluster hops. Some have said because it's an old variety it's not interesting. I am curious about what the forum thinks. I recently brewed an Albany ale and used the last remaining cluster hops to dry hop one gallon.

From all the talk, I was expecting either a mundane or undesirable flavour. I found it neither.

I have heard a lot of people complain about cluster hops. Some have said because it's an old variety it's not interesting. I am curious about what the forum thinks. I recently brewed an Albany ale and used the last remaining cluster hops to dry hop one gallon.

From all the talk, I was expecting either a mundane or undesirable flavour. I found it neither.

They are ok, but have a bit of a 'sharp' flavor when used for bittering. They aren't bad, but there are many other varieties of hops that have more desirable characteristics in many cases.

It gets overshadowed in the era of the IPA, but it has its uses and there's nothing wrong with it. One of the benefits of flying under the radar is it's usually pretty cheap.

I like them. I've used them in an APA, and now three Irish Reds. I find that they have a mild bitterness, not much flavor, but overall pleasant. In a malt forward brew they are excellent.

I occasionally use them in small quantities in cream ales, Americanized kolsch beers, and occasionally in a pale ale.
Maybe just a bad batch, or over exposure, but I used 3oz of cluster as dry hops once and got a lot of grassy flavors that I didn't like.

They are one of the original "catty" hops and are ancestors to a lot of the modern varieties of American hops...

I use them quite a bit in cream ales and lighter styles. I don't use them for bittering, usually use magnum for that. I like them in those styles, but I haven't gone over 2 ounces or so in a 5 gallon batch.

They are one of the original "catty" hops and are ancestors to a lot of the modern varieties of American hops...

Thank you for sharing this. I am not familiar with the hops and am learning all I can. I have only used them twice (that I can remember). One was for a dry Irish stout (just bittering) and the other was for an Albany Ale, which is all Cluster. The recipe is "historical," so that explains the use of Cluster. As I stated earlier, I dry-hopped one gallon, but have not noticed any grassy or catty flavours. I actually found it somewhat floral, a little spicy, and quite pleasant with some fruity notes. Maybe when the beer has a chance to age, I will notice more flavours.

Thank you for sharing this. I am not familiar with the hops and am learning all I can. I have only used them twice (that I can remember). One was for a dry Irish stout (just bittering) and the other was for an Albany Ale, which is all Cluster. The recipe is "historical," so that explains the use of Cluster. As I stated earlier, I dry-hopped one gallon, but have not noticed any grassy or catty flavours. I actually found it somewhat floral, a little spicy, and quite pleasant with some fruity notes. Maybe when the beer has a chance to age, I will notice more flavours.

Hops change harvest to harvest as well. Also depends on where they were grown, too.

cluster hops : modern c hops :: mallo cups : reese's peanut butter cups :: necco wafers : starburst

modern c hops = cascade, centennial, chinook, columbus

old school classic flavor vs. bursting modern flavor, some people don't like the old timey taste.

For one thing, their storage stability isn't very good compared to newer hop varieties (~84% alpha remaining after 6 months, per Hopunion's website) and they're kind of old school so they don't have the allure of some of the sexy new styles. I think they make a killer IPA personally, but then again I have absolutely no hop loyalty whatsoever. If it's a hop, it's going into something I brew.

So, catty hops include Simcoe, some say Fuggles, and now Cluster. Any other catty hops out there? I have never experienced cattiness in Fuggles or Simcoe, but maybe in the future there is a chance I might run across it.

So, catty hops include Simcoe, some say Fuggles, and now Cluster. Any other catty hops out there? I have never experienced cattiness in Fuggles or Simcoe, but maybe in the future there is a chance I might run across it.

I get huge CAT PEE from citra when it's a very young beer. I had some fresh citra IPA from a fellow forum member that was quite good, but did have a very strong "catty" aroma and flavor. (You know you love hops when you describe it as 'cat pee, in a good way' :D)

It does fade, and it's not nearly prominent like that when used with other hops (like in Sierra Nevada's Torpedo).

I wonder if hops are like cilantro.

You know how some people can't stand cilantro because it tastes like soap? Other people love it. Some scientists believe that certain people are genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro.

I know certain people don't like Fuggles because it tastes so earthy and mossy. Myself, I can't stand Summit hops. Tastes like onions.

I get huge CAT PEE from citra when it's a very young beer. I had some fresh citra IPA from a fellow forum member that was quite good, but did have a very strong "catty" aroma and flavor. (You know you love hops when you describe it as 'cat pee, in a good way' :D)

It does fade, and it's not nearly prominent like that when used with other hops (like in Sierra Nevada's Torpedo).

I just racked a galaxy pond pale ale recipe tonight that I substituted citra leaf rather than the galaxy pellets for dry hopping. I could not quite place the taste, but yea its kinda like cat pee. Of course it needs to mellow a little. "If it yellow let it mellow..."

Just listened to Drew Beechum on a BeerSmith podcast and he claims Cluster tastes like blackberries and cat pee. He apparently is not a fan of Cluster and stated that if you want to ruin a beer, use Cluster.

I actually taste berry jam (specifically strawberry) and durian. Durian is certainly an acquired taste and some people say it tastes/smells like cat pee.

There is one hop variety that some people say tastes like onion and/or garlic. Lagunitas uses this hop in many brews. I am lucky enough not to get that particular taste, as it sounds disgusting in beer.

I should try some of these "catty" hops, see if I get the cat-pee taste.

Hmm...

But to be thorough you have to do a side by side tasting with real cat pee. And connoisseurs will debate the subtleties of pee from different breeds, male vs female, fixed or not, the effect of climate and phase of the moon. But this should probably be in the Cat Pee section of HBT. Moderators?

I've never used them because they just don't appear in many recipes except for oldschool ones. Maybe if I make a historical style like pre-prohibition lager or something? Anyhow, interesting to hear the debate, it does seem a bit like the Fuggles debate. Good thing we have so many varieties of hops! :mug:

I like cluster. More floral than many manitoban cross hops, some blackcurrant and fruit. They give a subtle American twang to a British style beer. A bit like Willamette but less on the floral. Luckily cluster doesn't have that hideous grapefruit twang that I can't stand.

When you don't need a lot of bittering and you want a traditional old school American beer flavor they work well. Cream Ales and Classic American Pilsners. If you need a lot of bittering there are better hops. Maybe that is where the cat pee flavor comes from, too much Cluster to get the bittering where you want it? As far as late in the boil I haven't gotten any cat pee but a mild nondescript herbal hop flavor...nothing bad but nothing exciting to me.

So, can I make a beer called "Cluster Fuggle" and be original, or has it already been done?

I totally agree, although I can't say I've ever tasted cat pee... or any pee for that matter. Young citra is very much like this anyway. Galaxy is the one that can hit on onion-like flavors when young.

It just goes to show you that while hops are usually better in a young beer, there are definitely exceptions.

I'm not opposed to using cluster hops. I quite like them in some lighter style lawnmower beers. I don't sense the "cat" but I don't dose very heavy either.

Fuggles has been a hard one for me to figure out how I like it presented in a beer. I think I've found that prior to about 10 minutes left in the boil, they are fine and I enjoy their quality, after than I prefer other british or noble finishing hops. Willamette doesn't present this same problem to me.

The hops I cannot stand in beer are the ones that make it taste like green tea. Sometimes it's from poorly handled/harvested hops, other times it's a quality of the hop itself. Do. Not. Like. Them!!

I brew a lot of "Classic American Pilsners", and cream ales which tend toward the dry side. I grow my own corn, use 6 row, copper pils and melanoidin, and Cluster. They remind me of Wisconsin beers from the 1960s. They are my favorite hop...

I can't say much that hasn't already been said but 2 of my best batches used Cluster as the bittering hops.

i love cluster hops use it in all my stouts and i even made a cluster pale ale which was awesome..its all subjective i quess

Latest posts

Back