Clumping head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0phead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
20180221_201810.jpg
20180221_201752.jpg

Just cracked a 22oz bottle of Dead Guy Ale clone (poured into a tulip glass) and found the strangest head. When swirled the head separates and clumps. The beer is also very viscous/thick. Thoughts?

Maybe it's sick? Don't know much about this but the term ropey is used for Belgian wild beers that get sick. It looks pretty thick on the side of the glass. I hear it can go away with time but I guess you shouldn't have bugs in a clone of dead guy..

Yeah, I'm not sure about bugs. I guess it's always possible to have been infected in some way. I'll pop another one next week to see if it was just a fluke.

Curious. It looks almost oily. Besides the viscosity any strange flavors? How was the brew and fermentation, all normal?

Fermentation was frustrating. First utilizing a harvested and propagated strain of Pacman yeast (two 22oz Rogue chocolate stouts) which brought it down from 1.064 to 1.030, then finishing it off with US-05 which brought it down to 1.010. Fermentation temperature was at 65 (using raspberry pi-controlled fermentation vessel).

I think the oily look is from the carbonation drops I used for carbonation. I would normally use a corn sugar mix for priming, but I was feeling lazy and just used carbonation drops (two per bottle as described on the package).

According to palmer Aceto bacteria can cause ropy jelly like strands in your beer.
http://www.howtobrew.com/book/section-4/is-my-beer-ruined/common-problems
I recall seeing pics of beers that did have long thick slimy strands but I thought it was from a different bacteria. I think that it eventually go away if given enough time.

@ba-brewer there weren't any strange strings in the fermentation...just this odd head.

The beer itself is quite tasty, no off aromas or flavors.

So the stuff on the side of glass is oily? It looks a bit gelatin like to me that is why I post the link.

I forgot to mention that some of the clusters of bubbles in the head almost looks like hop cone.

Viscous and thick, like nectar? Could be pedio. I drank a crooked stave lemongrass brett beer the other day that was just like that. Supposedly you can let it sit for a couple of months and it will work through the “sickness” (cue: Disturb’d).

Is that like when people see Jesus's face in their toast?

Never seen Jesus, but I did see a gorilla face in my lacing once. I think it is more like finding stuff in clouds, but you could be right.

Second pic toward the bottom edge below the clear spot(7 o'clock), three hops cone. First picture right hand side of the glass(3 o'clock) looks like an early round cone.

Back