Cloudy vs clumpy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjedifishx

Reaction score
So my first brew is a day from bottling (2 weeks in primary) and the FG is 0.001 from the expected and sustained over a few days. I'm wondering If there is a way to strain the final product while siphoning into my bottling bucket? My beer is a little cloudy which isn't a big deal but some of the hops/hop pieces haven't yet sank to the bottom and I don't want them in my bottle so is there a secret to keeping these bad boys out of the bottles?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know it has fallen out of style in the past 10 years but have you thought about siphoning your brew into a secondary for some additional clearing time? If not, the same process takes place in your bottles- it just takes a while and you will have to pour slowly to leave your sediment behind. Other than those options, you may have some luck siphoning through sanitized cheese cloth or a fine-mesh strainer. Just be careful not to splash! But I bet you knew that.
Good Luck,
-Ritalin

Thanks for the reply. Could I use my steeping grain bag? Maybe rubber band it around my siphon tubing? And I'm confused on the splashing thing. I've lurked around and notice people using oxygen and small aquarium aerators to add oxygen so am I supposed to add O2 or no or is that a different type of brew?

Nevermind... Just read a post about o2 and it's function in the primary. So now we aim for clean beer and no splashing! :) thanks again

Leave it alone for another week. My Honey brown was cloudy at 3 weeks, and crystal clear after 28 days. It's worth the wait.

Another good practice to institute is cold crashing. This is done by moving your primary fermentation vessel to where you can keep the temperature somewhere in the 30's or 40's. This will cause hop particles, yeast, and other goodies left in suspension to drop out. After a few days, pull it out, let it sit for an hour or so and pull it off to either bottle or place in secondary.

I'm in an apartment and I can't fit my primary in the fridge :/ plus I'm in Florida so I can't set it on the balcony (even in feb lol) I guess I can either strain or wait... Oh the joys of brewing... Thanks for the info guys!

Back