Cloudy Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have a crazy question for everyone/anyone.. I have just started brewing again after over a year and the Star San I have made (from concentrate large bottle) has turned cloudy after about a day. When I made the star san it was crystal clear, but over about a day it turned cloudy. I am just thinking it is possibly because the bottle of concentrate is old (but still effective). I have not taken a PH reading, but does anyone else have any experience with this occurring?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Caused by hardness in the water. Just monitor the pH, mine stays good for weeks even when cloudy. My 3 month old StarSan tests at pH 2.6

EDIT: If you use distilled water (or store bought machine water) it will remain clear...I still test monthly for good pH either way.

This is very common - something along the lines of a reaction between the minerals in the water with one or more of the ingredients in the StarSan. If you make your StarSan solutions with RO or distilled water, it'll stay clear for weeks.

As long as the pH is still low, it'll still work, but it may take a bit longer to be effective and it may leave a slimy residue on your equipment (especially tubing).

this is funny I assumed that the star san was was leaching something white out of the bucket I was using... Makes sense though as I only use that bucket with our tap water for keg cleaning. When I used distilled that problem never happened. I the tap mixture turned white will stain clear plastic like auto siphons etc...

I just had a spray bottle of starsan turn white on me the other day and was wondering the same thing. I have noticed when I'm brewing and running water through my 5m carbon filter the star san keeps clear, my cloudy guy came off the tap.

So you got to a day, mine goes cloudy immediately , I did find that it takes longer if I make it up with cold boiled water.

As long as the pH is still low, it'll still work, but it may take a bit longer to be effective and it may leave a slimy residue on your equipment (especially tubing).

So this slimy residue.........
Will it affect the beer? Does it soften water? :confused:

Inquiring mind want to know.

Latest posts

Back