Cloudy cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine0n

Reaction score
My friend and I made a cyser about 2 months ago
Fresh press honey crisp cider 1.050 OG
12 lbs wildflower honey
D47 YEAST
Fermaid o per batchbuilder sna
OG 1.145
FG1.020

Roughly 16.1ish abv

Now if you noticed at the top I never mentioned using pectic enzyme and that now leads me to my question...can you use filtering pads from a vino jet filtration pump to remove pectic haze? It's been clearing for a bit now and we've added the enzyme after stabilizing but it still has the stubborn haze. Almost a week and a half on the enzyme and its in the garage where its been upper 30s into the low 50s kinda swing in Va. Its just not clearing any further.

Thanks for any insite from you guys/gals

Give it time, it will clear once it’s degassed and has time to settle. The degassing part is done faster at a warmer temp. Besides pectin, some honeys will also leave a bit of a cloudy mead. As for filtering, everything I’ve read says it’s for final polishing. you shouldn’t filter anything that isn’t already clear, it’ll just clog up the pad.

The buon vino pump just arrived yesterday, we're going to open it up and check everything today. We ordered 5 sets of the 3 pads they offer for some future larger batches. This batch is 3 gallons .

Its clear but it has the stubborn haze, bentonite in primary and sparkaloid in secondary, and enzyme finally.

I know it will clog with sediment and thats why we went with bent and spark to clear faster, being in the cold has helped and we no longer have any sediment dropping.

I dont want to waste 3- .5 micron pads if it wouldn't remove the haze. They say they are sterile pads.

Pectinase works best the closer you get to about 100 deg F so your temp has been too cold for it work meaningfully. It is possible you could see increased clearing by bringing it inside.

The buon vino pump just arrived yesterday, we're going to open it up and check everything today. We ordered 5 sets of the 3 pads they offer for some future larger batches. This batch is 3 gallons .

Its clear but it has the stubborn haze, bentonite in primary and sparkaloid in secondary, and enzyme finally.

I know it will clog with sediment and thats why we went with bent and spark to clear faster, being in the cold has helped and we no longer have any sediment dropping.

I dont want to waste 3- .5 micron pads if it wouldn't remove the haze. They say they are sterile pads.

No way in hell use the .5 micron pads, they'll clog instantly. Let it clear on its own for a while then try the 10 micron.

Just as an FYI, this is a cyser that I filtered with 10 micron after having used bentonite in primary and pectic enzyme in secondary. With purging the filter and the leakage even at 10 microns there was considerable loss. I don't filter unless it's already pretty much cleared already and don't waste my time with small batches - too much loss.

33312463818_f2c9262b58_c.jpg

Just as an FYI, this is a cyser that I filtered with 10 micron after having used bentonite in primary and pectic enzyme in secondary. With purging the filter and the leakage even at 10 microns there was considerable loss. I don't filter unless it's already pretty much cleared already and don't waste my time with small batches - too much loss.

33312463818_f2c9262b58_c.jpg
Did you do a side-by-side tasting between the filtered and unfiltered? I don't know why i'm always leery about filtering stripping out some of the subtleties, especially in meads / ciders / cysers.

I have the same problem and haven't tried pectic enzyme yet because I was afraid to try it in secondary. Any recommendations on how much and how to add it? Do I need to make a solution or anything?

My problem (I think) is that I started with cloudy apple cider that had been pasteurized.

Did you do a side-by-side tasting between the filtered and unfiltered? I don't know why i'm always leery about filtering stripping out some of the subtleties, especially in meads / ciders / cysers.

Flavor molecules are tiny. You can't remove them with filters. And it's not necessary to go beyond the #2 mini jet filter.

I have the same problem and haven't tried pectic enzyme yet because I was afraid to try it in secondary. Any recommendations on how much and how to add it? Do I need to make a solution or anything?

My problem (I think) is that I started with cloudy apple cider that had been pasteurized.

Pectic enzyme isn't as effective once there's alcohol, but it still works. It just takes longer. All my ciders start off cloudy, since I use fresh pressed orchard juice. No solution required, just stir it in.

If you have back sweetened with honey you'll get a haze from that too, that pectic enzyme won't touch.

Back