Closed transfer went wrong :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricca

Reaction score
Did a closed transfer from fermenter to keg for the first time. The keg was filled with co2, connected siphon to "beer out" and had not opened the valve on the keg, co2 injected into the fermenter and caused a large splash in the fermenter. How much damage do you think has happened? oxidation? :/

If you hadn’t allowed the fermenter to be open for an extended period of time (allowing excessive oxygen ingress), you will be fine. The headspace of the fermenter should be full of co2, so injecting co2 into a co2 blanket should be a non issue.

Did a closed transfer from fermenter to keg for the first time. The keg was filled with co2, connected siphon to "beer out" and had not opened the valve on the keg, co2 injected into the fermenter and caused a large splash in the fermenter. How much damage do you think has happened? oxidation? :/

It's not likely to have damaged the beer unless you let oxygen get in there somehow. The only issue I can think of is dislodging hop and krausen debris and suspending it in the beer, which would make it into the keg. It also might clog the poppets too.

But as long as you kept the beer away from oxygen, no damage there.

BTW, you aren't the first person to ever have done this. Don't ask me how I know that. :)

Thank you for responding. I ferment in a Fermonster so I had change the "rubber lid" to a lid with a siphon on it...

Latest posts

Back