Cloning New England Brewing Company's Gandhi-bot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were you the guy that showed me the Ghoulship bottle? Didn't realize my howler fill was perfect timing!

No, that wasn't me. I was there with another guy, showing him around as it was his first time there. Probably around 4pm or so.

We'll see what happens once it's fully carbed, but for now I'd like to give this method a try and what better beer try it on than Gandhi?

I did a whirlpool steep on my last IPA and was hooked. It gave such great aroma! I do have a pump and recirculating arm that I use for whirlpooling, so I'm sure that helps a great deal.

Brewed up Gandhi-bot clone 2.0 today. Pitched 6 hours ago and the yeast are already going to town. I rarely time these things properly but I was able to pitch my starter at high kreusen today, so that's pretty cool.

Brewed up Gandhi-bot clone 2.0 today. Pitched 6 hours ago and the yeast are already going to town. I rarely time these things properly but I was able to pitch my starter at high kreusen today, so that's pretty cool.

Nice just got my Simcoe, Columbus, and Apollo hops in the mail today :rockin:

My first attempt came in at 1.018 (7.9% ABV) ****. I am pissed off but the beer smells and tastes amazing. Can't wait until it's carbed.

My first attempt came in at 1.018 (7.9% ABV) ****. I am pissed off but the beer smells and tastes amazing. Can't wait until it's carbed.

That's not terrible though man. Did you use a big starter of the Conan yeast? I know my Conan Simcoe Vienna awhile ago ended up with a higher FG then I was hoping for also but others have been reporting very good attenuation with it.

I pitched a 1.5L starter of Conan.

I'd like to send you one once it's carbed and I taste it. It was slowly bubbling when I dry-hopped (think I secondaried probably 3-4 days too soon). Not enough yeast in suspension to finish-off the beer quicker.

What has your attenuation been with previous uses of Conan? You got almost 76% apparent which is typical for Conan from what I've read.

This is the first time I have used it.

I pitched a 1.5L starter of Conan.

I'd like to send you one once it's carbed and I taste it. It was slowly bubbling when I dry-hopped (think I secondaried probably 3-4 days too soon). Not enough yeast in suspension to finish-off the beer quicker.

I don't think that I'll be able to brew my Gandhi-bot clone this weekend but I will probably brew it next weekend. We will have to trade some for sure!

I don't think that I'll be able to brew my Gandhi-bot clone this weekend but I will probably brew it next weekend. We will have to trade some for sure!

Def.

You'll need some Gandhi to have side-by-side with your clone and my clone, I reckon.

Def.

You'll need some Gandhi to have side-by-side with your clone and my clone, I reckon.

I sure will. And I'm betting I will be able to find something here that I can send that way also. Will hit you up in a few weeks for sure.

Brewed this on Friday and its happily fermenting. Planned on doing half with Conan but forgot and pitched all with 1056. Now I just have to find a can of Ghandi-bot before its done.

Currently drinking a bottle of my first attempt that is now fully carbed. It's definitely more bitter than Gandhi, so I will need to dial back on the bittering hops. Like I said before, I still think the hop character is muddled by dry hopping it. I don't know if dry hopping is the cause of that perception, but that's what I am going with for now. I also think some of this a product of the yeast I used. Seeing as Gandhi and Heady are so similar I think Gandhi may have been fermented with an English strain related to Conan. For this reason, I ended up using WLP002 English Ale Yeast for Gandhi-bot clone 2.0. If that puts me closer than WLP001 I'll know I'm getting close.

nukebrewer said:
Currently drinking a bottle of my first attempt that is now fully carbed. It's definitely more bitter than Gandhi, so I will need to dial back on the bittering hops. Like I said before, I still think the hop character is muddled by dry hopping it. I don't know if dry hopping is the cause of that perception, but that's what I am going with for now. I also think some of this a product of the yeast I used. Seeing as Gandhi and Heady are so similar I think Gandhi may have been fermented with an English strain related to Conan. For this reason, I ended up using WLP002 English Ale Yeast for Gandhi-bot clone 2.0. If that puts me closer than WLP001 I'll know I'm getting close.

I dialed back. I added 1oz Columbus, didn't Add the 1oz of Simcoe.

I sampled mine today. You will be the judge when you taste it. The hop profile is almost spot-on. Smells great. Tastes good, too. I drank every Gandhi I had so I will have to get more to do a side-by-side taste test.

Nuke I was thinking about trying the Wyeast Private Collection 1217 that is out right now when I brew mine.. any thoughts?

Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA

Beer Styles: American IPA, Imperial IPA, American Pale Ale, American brown ale, Red Ales, Scottish Ales
Profile: This strain is ideally suited to the production of west-coast style American craft beers, especially pale, IPA, red, and specialties. Thorough attenuation, temp tolerance, and good flocculation make this an easy strain to work with. Flavor is balanced neutral with mild ester formation at warmer temps, allowing hops, character malts, and flavorings to show through.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation med-high
Attenuation 73-80%
Temp. Range 62-74°F (17-23°C)

I dialed back. I added 1oz Columbus, didn't Add the 1oz of Simcoe.

I sampled mine today. You will be the judge when you taste it. The hop profile is almost spot-on. Smells great. Tastes good, too. I drank every Gandhi I had so I will have to get more to do a side-by-side taste test.

Yeah, I'm down to my last Ghandi and since I already know mine didn't make the grade, I think I'll drink it tonight. My store should have more by the time 2.0 is ready. Can't wait to try yours. Sounds like Conan helped you out a lot on this one.

Nuke I was thinking about trying the Wyeast Private Collection 1217 that is out right now when I brew mine.. any thoughts?

Wyeast 1217-PC West Coast IPA

Beer Styles: American IPA, Imperial IPA, American Pale Ale, American brown ale, Red Ales, Scottish Ales
Profile: This strain is ideally suited to the production of west-coast style American craft beers, especially pale, IPA, red, and specialties. Thorough attenuation, temp tolerance, and good flocculation make this an easy strain to work with. Flavor is balanced neutral with mild ester formation at warmer temps, allowing hops, character malts, and flavorings to show through.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation med-high
Attenuation 73-80%
Temp. Range 62-74°F (17-23°C)

Honestly, I think a West Coast strain will put put you further from Gandhi than you want to be. It's an east coast beer brewed in New England and given the large differences between east and west coast IPAs, I think you'd be better off with an Enlgish strain like Conan or WLP002 like I used on 2.0, though the WLP002 has yet to be proven. I'm beginning to realize that not all of Gandhi's character is hop derived and some of it may be due to the esters thrown by English yeast strains.

Yeah, I'm down to my last Ghandi and since I already know mine didn't make the grade, I think I'll drink it tonight. My store should have more by the time 2.0 is ready. Can't wait to try yours. Sounds like Conan helped you out a lot on this one.

Honestly, I think a West Coast strain will put put you further from Gandhi than you want to be. It's an east coast beer brewed in New England and given the large differences between east and west coast IPAs, I think you'd be better off with an Enlgish strain like Conan or WLP002 like I used on 2.0, though the WLP002 has yet to be proven. I'm beginning to realize that not all of Gandhi's character is hop derived and some of it may be due to the esters thrown by English yeast strains.

Interesting I can't imagine NEBCO using an English strain in a big IPA like that it just seems to finish nice and dry to me (maybe the hops & bitterness were hiding the sweetness from me though) I never noticed much residual sweetness in GB. You might be right though man and I may be totally crazy (pretty sure I am :tank:) I could totally see WLP007 but WLP002 I just don't know maybe the sugar dries it out just the right amount? I'll be curious to see how your 2.0 version turns out for sure! :mug:

Interesting I can't imagine NEBCO using an English strain in a big IPA like that it just seems to finish nice and dry to me (maybe the hops & bitterness were hiding the sweetness from me though) I never noticed much residual sweetness in GB. You might be right though man and I may be totally crazy (pretty sure I am :tank:) I could totally see WLP007 but WLP002 I just don't know maybe the sugar dries it out just the right amount? I'll be curious to see how your 2.0 version turns out for sure! :mug:

Yeah, English yeast was far from my first thought, too, but given the way 1.0 turned out I think an English strain is worth a shot. I'll definitely keep the thread updated. I'll be out of town for a week starting Thursday, so there will be plenty of time for me not to mess with it, haha.

nukebrewer said:
Very nice! Obviously I can't comment on flavor or aroma, but it sure looks like the color is pretty close.

From the taste of this stuff, it's not as sweet as Gandhi is especially on the back end. The aroma is very, very similar. I don't have any Gandhi here. I'll pick some up just before Thanksgiving and try my clone side-by-side.

Remmy said:
From the taste of this stuff, it's not as sweet as Gandhi is especially on the back end. The aroma is very, very similar. I don't have any Gandhi here. I'll pick some up just before Thanksgiving and try my clone side-by-side.

They are moving around then, might want to stock up. I have no idea how the move will effect their brewing schedule

They are moving around then, might want to stock up. I have no idea how the move will effect their brewing schedule

It's ok. I got a ton of Gandhi today. I'm sure I won't have a problem getting any right around the time they move, either. No way they will be low on that stuff.

Havnt had Gandi, but Ninkasi uses 1968 I believe which is an english strain and dries out fairly well, Ive used 1469 with good results these might compare to white labs, I reall y dont know, but I have a bunch of ctz, simcoe and pilsner malt that need to be used so im thinkin of brewin this up.

Running over to the brew shop at lunch in 1/2 hour here to grab the grains for this. Not 100% sure on the yeast yet I do have some Conan at home that I might just throw on the stir plate. Will post pics and update when I'm brewing this weekend.

Remmy,

Would you want to work out a trade for some Ghandi Bot? Anything you want from the Portland area?

Brewbien said:
Remmy, Would you want to work out a trade for some Ghandi Bot? Anything you want from the Portland area?

Sure. Gotta hook up Lolo again for the third time. I'm down, though. PM me.

Thanks guys for all your hard work going into this clone. I know it must be tough drinking a bunch of brew that resembles one of my ATF DIPA's. I think I am going to order a bunch of 2013 CTZ and Simcoe and give this a try. I am switching from BIAB to a cooler mash tun with false bottom, so I have to dial that in on a "cheaper" brew first. Cant wait to make this though!!

Will do. Hop crazy

ForumRunner_20131124_184712.jpg

ForumRunner_20131124_184722.png

Latest posts

Back