clinical refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's the scale calibrated for?

it may be possible, but it may also require a conversion to be made.

where you could run into issues if the ranges are too far out....i.e. you go off scale to high, or it's not sensitive enough and you can't get an accurate reading.

Here it is. I went ahead and bought it anyways. It cost me $3 at a local auction. I'be never used one before so am completely ignorant. But at $3 I took the chancw

ForumRunner_20110909_120638.jpg

I was looking for ways to up the salt content of my water supply

Oh crap...that IS what they use it for.

Clinical Refractometer - Urine Specific by Sper Scientific

That's not a job I'd wanna do. ;)

I use one in a lab to check what kind of specimen type we got if there is uncertainty. Urine comes in low around 1.005 and plasma/serum is usually in the 1.030 range. Sometimes you can't tell by color or smell alone. Another common method to see if you have plasma is if you get a protein crash when you mix a little methanol with a small part of the specimen.

Just wash it off, you will be fine.

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
But he paid 3 bucks for it...which means it must be used.....

EWWWWWWWWWW ;)

Wash it, clean it, sterilize it if you want. It's just pee. And you're not drinking it.

I bought a used 6-Liter erlenmeyer flask from ebay a while back, it arrived with a very questionable brown-ish stain around the neck. 2 soakings in oxy-clean, one brushing, and 2 soakings in bleach water, and it's good as new.

M_C

Latest posts

Back