Clearing first all grain brew - forgot to use irish moss/ whirlfloc etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I'm sure it has somewhere but I couldn't find it).

I've just completed my first all grain brew, an American pale ale, however it was not until during the boil that I realised I had forgotten to pick up some irish moss or something to aid in helping to clear the beer.

It has been in primary now for about 2 weeks. I am currently away on honeymoon so intend to tend to it when I return early next week, but I am wondering if I can add any gelatin/ finings or something to it in the primary for a couple of days before bottling to help in clearing it?

Thanks in advance.

You can use gelatin if you want, but its not necessary. I forget to use irish moss all the time, and my beer is plenty clear.

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I'm sure it has somewhere but I couldn't find it).

I've just completed my first all grain brew, an American pale ale, however it was not until during the boil that I realised I had forgotten to pick up some irish moss or something to aid in helping to clear the beer.

It has been in primary now for about 2 weeks. I am currently away on honeymoon so intend to tend to it when I return early next week, but I am wondering if I can add any gelatin/ finings or something to it in the primary for a couple of days before bottling to help in clearing it?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used fining agents in over a year, and my beer comes out nice and clear. To be honest, I never noticed a difference between using Irish Moss and not using it, which is why I quit bothering with it.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok that's ok then I reckon I'll just do without then. Just figured from the recipes I've read it seemed to be constantly used but if it's not too necessary I won't bother! Maybe I'll try it in a later brew and see if I notice a difference.

Thanks for the replies guys!

We all like to have the clearest beer. But as you close your eye and drink that first taste of your creation it no longer matters.

There are other issues to master before clarity IMHO.

Away on honeymoon and worried about Irish moss....you got the bug bad..lol..agree with above you can use finings...I like to cold crash mine until clear and keg..

Away on honeymoon and worried about Irish moss....you got the bug bad..lol..agree with above you can use finings...I like to cold crash mine until clear and keg..

Ahhhh.....Honeymoon, brewing? Get outta here. You have a lifetime to worry about brewing.

Go celebrate.

BTW Congratulations.

Haha don't worry guys I'm not sitting here worrying about the beer, just want to sort it the day I'm back cos I've got a few days off work, so wanted to order anything I needed whilst I was away :) !

But yeah I'd say I do have the bug it seems!

Latest posts

Back