Clearing cider quickly (without loosing yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I am on day 2 of cold crashin my cider.
I wanted it to be clear and primed and bottle conditioned by the end of the month.

How long does cold crashing take to clear cider?

Could I just use super Kleer or will that make all the viable yeast drop out?

Most cold crashing will be done in a few days. Longest I've ever done is a week. You can bottle it a little cloudy and it will clear more in the bottle as it conditions.

Most cold crashing will be done in a few days. Longest I've ever done is a week. You can bottle it a little cloudy and it will clear more in the bottle as it conditions.

Thanks I will give it a week and bottle.

Here's an observation. I pressed cider yesterday. It came out looking like cloudy Apple juice. Brought a carboy home and by nighttime it was that dark brown color that store bought cider looks like. Today I added the other ingredients such as pectin enzyme, acid blend, Camden, tannin and yeast nutrients. Tonight it's starting to separate and clear. Bottom 2/3 looks like fresh cider but top looks like apple juice. So what caused the changes? I assume the brown color is from oxidation much like apple slices left out and the pectin enzyme is accelerating the clearing. If I'm wrong what do you think it is?

Almost a week and no evidence of clearing.

I need to rack off the yeast this weekend, would another dose of pectin enzyme help?

Almost a week and no evidence of clearing.

I need to rack off the yeast this weekend, would another dose of pectin enzyme help?

Cold crashing is done after racking off the yeast, not before. The purpose is to drop the remaining yeast out of suspension. Cloudy to crystal-clear in 48 hours max.

Gelatin will clear it in 24 hours. That's what I do. Works like a charm. Do that.

Is gelatin the same as super Kleer?
And will gelatin keep some yeast in suspension?

Cold crashing is done after racking off the yeast, not before. The purpose is to drop the remaining yeast out of suspension. Cloudy to crystal-clear in 48 hours max.

I have always cold crashed my beers in the primary bucket
I understand beer and cider are different, so maybe I don't get same result

I have always cold crashed my beers in the primary bucket
I understand beer and cider are different, so maybe I don't get same result

Waiting for winter to arrive so I can just carry my demijohn outside to cold-crash. Still, I normally rack off the yeast cake first.

Mini bubbles are still rising, SG is below 1.000

Is this just degassing? Could it still be fermenting?

I was going to cold crash, again. What could be harm?

It's probably still fermenting. Don't rush it. Give it another 3-4 weeks.

Does cider usually take this long?

Why did I think I would be bottled and drinking it in just under 4 weeks?

You could be depending on the juice and yeast used. Not to mention if you wanna rack to a secondary and even if you wanna bottle. Typically easy cider recipes are 4-8 weeks before drinking

You can run a clean ferment to 8-9% ABV within 7 days, be clear a week later and be carbed a week after that.

You can get a cider ready in 3-4 weeks, lots of commercial cider companies do that all the time.
Does your cider taste the way you want it to now?
If tastes ok, and you just want it to be clear, there are numerous fining materials used in wine making that you could try.
And if you could keg and force carbonate, that would save some time as well.

I don't know. Why did you? I've read a lot of "quick" cider recipes but all those I respect insist on months of aging and patience.

i typically primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 2 weeks. Cold crash for 48 hours and bottle. I dont carb it, though. Mine drys out to like 0.998, but you shouldnt hav bombs if you are under 1.005

I usually finish around 1.005, or at least call it finished, after a week and a half or so. I then cold crash for 2 days, keg, force carb and drink. I love it right off the bat, but I will admit it is usually better after another week in keg

I love it right off the bat, but I will admit it is usually better after another week in keg

Have you ever racked it off the lees then let it sit in the secondary 6-9 months? When I first did I was amazed how much better it was. Now I start cider Sept-Dec to be bottled late spring for the following summer.

I am now down under 1.000
I am going to cold crash for a few days than prime and bottle, regardless of how clear it gets. I am afraid the longer I let it sit and age the more east drops.
I did rack of the lees.

Have you ever racked it off the lees then let it sit in the secondary 6-9 months? When I first did I was amazed how much better it was. Now I start cider Sept-Dec to be bottled late spring for the following summer.

I haven't yet gotten to 6-9 months, only have the patience for 3-3 here but I'll second that time is the best ingredient! It's also the hardest thing to hear when starting out! I reccomend starting a new batch every week or two for awhile to keep the pipeline full so you don't have to wait so long between batches.

I haven't yet gotten to 6-9 months, only have the patience for 3-3 here but I'll second that time is the best ingredient! It's also the hardest thing to hear when starting out! I reccomend starting a new batch every week or two for awhile to keep the pipeline full so you don't have to wait so long between batches.

I only attempt cider once a year.
One of my LHBS gets a special blend of cider from a local orchard specifically for fermenting purposes.

One of my LHBS gets a special blend of cider from a local orchard specifically for fermenting purposes.

Lucky you. I have an orchard that does that. But I always miss the weekend. Most of my cider is fruit flavored so mixed sweet blend works. But I would love a mix of heirlooms for a true farmhouse cider, too.

Lucky you. I have an orchard that does that. But I always miss the weekend. Most of my cider is fruit flavored so mixed sweet blend works. But I would love a mix of heirlooms for a true farmhouse cider, too.

I am lucky to live in an area that has more apple orchards than I can count.
2 of the orchards are also golf courses!
So late fall there are apples everywhere

Sometime in late October? Let's not let each other forget next year.

I haven't found the need to be so picky on juice, but then I've never find any juice specifically labeled for fermenting purposes. The unpasteurized juice from a local orchard is very nice, but I've found that any preservative free, unfiltered juice/cider will work.

Sometime in late October? Let's not let each other forget next year.

Exactly! I'm gonna try and get my Brewers club together for a group buy. I'll even fill my truck with car boys and meet everyone later. I want this mix for my farmhouse style ale.

Freeze hard cider remove the ice (water) and you get apple jack. It's just a higher ABV cider.

Back