Clearing Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexmet1

Reaction score
I've almost finished my first ale brew (I did a coopers lager as my first) and was wondering whether, like lager, ale needed to be left a few days after its finished fermenting to allow the sediment to clear and the beer to become a lot clearer itself.

I just took a FG reading and its at 1.014 which is approx what the kit said it would be at when finished. Or anything below 1.014 at least. Either way, when I took the sample there was loads of sediment floating around and that's why I'm just wondering whether I need to leave it for a few more days.

Thanks in advance!

Once it's done, if you can, cold crash for a few days. ( get its temp into the low 30s). If you can't, the beer may be cloudy but will still taste great, use a red solo cup…you won't be able to tell!

The yeast will naturally clear with time, or you can cold crash as previously stated. Some yeast are better at following out of suspension then others. I cant recall about the coopers strain of yeast. However give it a few days to settle and then a few hours before botting move the fermenter to the place were you will be bottling to allow the yeast that is stirred up (when moving the fermenter) to fall back out of suspension. Once bottled and the beer is carbonated the bottle will "cold crash" in the fridge and the yeast will form a tight compact "cake" on the the bottom of the bottle.

Cooper's ale yeast is a high flocculation strain,so it'll settle out very clear if given 3-7 days to do so after FG is reached. 1.014 might go down a couple more points. I did that one as my 1st,since it came with my Microbrew kit. My OG was 1.048,FG was 1.012 after about 2 weeks gave it the amount of time mentioned earlier to settle out clear or slightly misty. It cleans up fermentation by products at the same time it's settling.

Thanks for the replies guys. You are all referring to coopers but I meant that coopers lager was my first brew. This is a muntons premium Midas touch ale. But either way, I will leave it a few more days so that it can clear up. Can't cold crash unfortunately..

I brew mostly English style brown or darker ales and most times I leave them in the fermenter for 4-6 weeks.
This works for me and my ales go into the bottles very clear and bright with no need to use finings or cold crash.
I use Nottingham yeast and the trub lays like a wet blanket on the bottom allowing me to get the most out of the fermenter.

Patience...

bosco

Back