Clear vinyl tubing - Cloudy water,cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whis121surfing

Reaction score
3 tier- 2 cooler 1 burner all grain setup with one pump to feed the Mash and HLT.

I brewed a batch of Amber Ale and when I measure my water for my strike water I use the mash tun which is marked well for measurements and just let that drain into my kettle to heat the strike water. Well when I walked away to let it drain and heat up I got stuck doing something else and came back to see that the kettle had been boiling with the thick clear plastic/vinyl tubing hanging in the kettle. The part of the tubing that was in the water turned cloudy and so did the water slightly. Not thinking too much of it as I was sure I bought the thick high temp tubing from one of the online brewing sites I continued with the batch. I now have an Amber Ale that is about two months old chilled and all, that still has a cloudiness to it. I have been brewing for about 4 years now and never had any major issue with the usual culprits of cloudiness (hot/cold break, use whirl floc, good starters, no bad batches....yet) so I am positive that it had something to do with the tubing hanging in the water. No off flavors in the beer and even got a 35 avg score in BJCP comp with it.

By going through some old orders from the online company it looks like it may have been clear high temp 3/8" ID Vinyl tubing rated up to 212F.

Have you heard of this happening before?
Are there any health concerns with the beer or is this just a blemish/eyesore?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-Scott

3 tier- 2 cooler 1 burner all grain setup with one pump to feed the Mash and HLT.

I brewed a batch of Amber Ale and when I measure my water for my strike water I use the mash tun which is marked well for measurements and just let that drain into my kettle to heat the strike water. Well when I walked away to let it drain and heat up I got stuck doing something else and came back to see that the kettle had been boiling with the thick clear plastic/vinyl tubing hanging in the kettle. The part of the tubing that was in the water turned cloudy and so did the water slightly. Not thinking too much of it as I was sure I bought the thick high temp tubing from one of the online brewing sites I continued with the batch. I now have an Amber Ale that is about two months old chilled and all, that still has a cloudiness to it. I have been brewing for about 4 years now and never had any major issue with the usual culprits of cloudiness (hot/cold break, use whirl floc, good starters, no bad batches....yet) so I am positive that it had something to do with the tubing hanging in the water. No off flavors in the beer and even got a 35 avg score in BJCP comp with it.

By going through some old orders from the online company it looks like it may have been clear high temp 3/8" ID Vinyl tubing rated up to 212F.

Have you heard of this happening before?
Are there any health concerns with the beer or is this just a blemish/eyesore?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-Scott

Just beeing a rookie in hand brewing beers my humble opinion would be that if the tubing is food grade i would'nt care much about the 212°F limit. If not food grade I definately would have second thoughts :)

Best Regards

Folke

Back