Clear samples for refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_met

Reaction score
I got to use my refractometer for the first time over the weekend. I got a lot of false readings during my pre-boil & boil.

First, I think the false readings were due to not getting a clear sample. I had lots of hop bits. It often read higher than I would have thought. Am I understanding that a non-clear sample can error to the side displaying a higher than actual number?

Secondly, how do you get a clear sample. I used my big SS spoon let to get a sample. I allowed it to cool. And let a drop or two go onto the refractomer and wait for some time (30secs to a minute or two for ATC). Unless others have better methods, I suppose I would use the little plastic dropper that cam e with it to get the clear sample off of the spoon.

At the end of the boil, I took a hydrometer reading and double checked that with the refractometer. Both came up with the same values (which also equaled my recipe estimated OG). This is why I think I was getting false readings in the early boil.

This is an ATC model. I thought that waiting 30 seconds to a couple minutes was all that was needed to allow the boiling wort cool down & ATC to adjust.

I also blew on sample that was on my spoon before placing on refractometer.

get a dropper or pipette to use. If you have an ATC version, you may want to get some distilled water and calibrate it. Distilled reads 1.0

REgarding bits etc, I'm not sure how that would affect the light off the prism. I had to calibrate mine even on the first use.

Latest posts

Back