Clear blob second fermentation....what's that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kombrewcha

Reaction score
This is a semi repost but a little different from what I've found. In my latest batch of second fermenters I've found these quarter sized clear blobs in my tea. I think they may be the beginnings of scobies but I donno. The tea still smells vinegar-y and tastes fine to my unrefined palate. I haven't been straining the kombucha as I bottle it so that probably has something to do with these growths. I've only been second fermenting for 24-48 hours with no added sugar or fruit since I'm still learning the process. Are these little blobbies normal/OK?

The blobs are new scobys forming. They are normal. Fish them out if you like, I usually drink them down. I wish I didn't get them though. I also strain between primary and secondary. If its tasting a bit vinegary to you try shortening your primary by a day or two. The speed of ferment is also relative to temp so # of days will vary with the seasons.

Also, if you don't add fruit or sugar to you secondary you won't carb up much so there really isn't much point. If you want plain and still kombucha just drink after primary. Could be why your getting vinegary as well.

Also, if you don't add fruit or sugar to you secondary you won't carb up much so there really isn't much point. If you want plain and still kombucha just drink after primary. Could be why your getting vinegary as well.

Thanks man. This makes total sense. I'm gonna tinker with my next batch by adding some sugar and see what happens. I appreciate the help!

Back