clear beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertFox

Reaction score
I bottled a week ago and my beer is suspiciously very clear. Does that mean all yeast has gone into suspension, and it's done conditioning?

Attachments

• clear beer.jpeg
    clear beer.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 338
I bottled a week ago and my beer is suspiciously very clear. Does that mean all yeast has gone into suspension, and it's done conditioning?

Did you mean to say "the yeast has dropped out of suspension?"
If so, yes, it is lying in that sediment on the bottom now.

I must say, that is one super clear beer!

It's probably done conditioning, as it needs to be in suspension to be able to condition.
If you meant, is it carbonated? There's only one answer: try it!

First refrigerate for a couple days, to absorb the carbonation.

Then pour slowly and steadily, without "glugging" or interrupting the flow. Do not tilt back to pour another glass, just move the bottle over to the next glass while you keep pouring, bartender style. Hold your glasses under a 45° angle and pour along the side, not straight onto the bottom, to prevent heavy foaming.

Once the bottom sediment shows up in the neck, tilt the bottle back quickly. Leave that last bit behind in the bottle.

Let us know how it tastes. I'm curious!

Yes I meant "dropped out of suspension", Sorry!
So you think there's no point of more waiting before chilling and drinking?
I'm surprised it has finished conditioning in just one week. Most people suggest to leave to condition for minimum 2-3 weeks. I was thinking about agitating and leaving it for one more week.

I must say that I'm turning non-alcoholic "beer" into beer, using sucrose and bread yeast. Alcohol and brewing is illegal here.

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Maybe it was hot during that week?

When beer is that clear there's very little yeast left in suspension to carbonate it, so I would doubt it would carbonate more. But you can leave it a few more weeks, it won't harm it, as long as that stopper is on gas tight. It should be or become carbonated, unless the yeast was dead when you "bottled" it or had run out of sugar prematurely.

Yeah, I now remember you. Turning alcohol-free beer into something else, in the desert. I'm surprised you haven't moved to a better watering hole yet.

Don't forget, that yeast on the bottom can be harvested, revitalized, and reused.

It was stored at 24C (75F) the whole time.

Actually I bottled in 7up bottles but used one clear glass bottle just to observe the clarity.
I already harvested the yeast from the primary fermentor to use it in future batches.

So I'll chill one bottle for two days and try it before doing any thing to the rest.

thank you so much!

I hope they all work out! Nothing better than a nicely carbonated cold one. You deserve it.

Is this your first batch?

Tell me about it!
The irony is that alcohol in banned in the country where you need it the most.

I've been brewing for a while, had relatively good results, not the best beer of course but it does the work.

Just to add, most of my batches are fully carbonated in 1 week, when the beer is held above 70 F. However, I have had a few batches suffer from diacetyl at such a young age, and that cleared up after 3 weeks. So, the suggested guideline of a 3-week period may have other implications than just carbonation.

Just to add, most of my batches are fully carbonated in 1 week, when the beer is held above 70 F. However, I have had a few batches suffer from diacetyl at such a young age, and that cleared up after 3 weeks. So, the suggested guideline of a 3-week period may have other implications than just carbonation.
I was wondering if clearness means that all yeast has dropped out of suspension and there's no point of waiting any further? or no? for both carbonation and enhancing the flavor.

Anyone else interested in how well that ikea flip top will hold carbonation? I never thought of trying those bit I bet it would work decent.

Anyone else interested in how well that ikea flip top will hold carbonation? I never thought of trying those bit I bet it would work decent.
after using them for about 4 times the cork started leaking a little bit, the beer was carbonated but not as I wished, I stored one bottle horizontally and there were few drops.

so my advice is do not use them.

I was wondering if clearness means that all yeast has dropped out of suspension and there's no point of waiting any further? or no? for both carbonation and enhancing the flavor.

Clarity of beer is certainly a sign of low amounts of suspended particles, including yeast. There can still be a million cells per ml left and look pretty clear. Yours looks exceptionally clear from that photo, reminds me of a well aged mead.

It's very difficult to get all yeast to drop out. That's why most commercial breweries filter or centrifuge all their beer before carbonating and flash pasteurize before packaging, so nothing is going to ferment in those bottles (and boom), while they stay crystal clear.

after using them for about 4 times the cork started leaking a little bit, the beer was carbonated but not as I wished, I stored one bottle horizontally and there were few drops.

so my advice is do not use them.
Cork? You mean the rubber gasket in the fliptop lid?

You can buy those gaskets on Amazon and elsewhere, to replace. But the stopper itself may have irregularities from the mould, that can cause it to promote leaking over time. Look for 2 seams that stand up a little bit. They can be filed/sanded smooth/even. I have used Grolsch flip top bottles for years and only replaced gaskets once. I do store them unlocked when not in use. And I may flip the seal every batch. If you see a clear round indentation, flip em over.

Same here. I'm from Hawaii and room temp here is 75-80 degrees. 5-7 days bottle conditioning and it's good to go.

Cork? You mean the rubber gasket in the fliptop lid?

You can buy those gaskets on Amazon and elsewhere, to replace. But the stopper itself may have irregularities from the mould, that can cause it to promote leaking over time. Look for 2 seams that stand up a little bit. They can be filed/sanded smooth/even. I have used Grolsch flip top bottles for years and only replaced gaskets once. I do store them unlocked when not in use. And I may flip the seal every batch. If you see a clear round indentation, flip em over.

I'm really sorry for my bad English ...

I now use soda PET bottles, they seal well and hold the pressure, they're easy to get and much cheaper even that I don't drink soda and pour it down the sink.

Clarity of beer is certainly a sign of low amounts of suspended particles, including yeast. There can still be a million cells per ml left and look pretty clear. Yours looks exceptionally clear from that photo, reminds me of a well aged mead.

It's very difficult to get all yeast to drop out. That's why most commercial breweries filter or centrifuge all their beer before carbonating and flash pasteurize before packaging, so nothing is going to ferment in those bottles (and boom), while they stay crystal clear.

thank you so much for the detailed answer that's exactly what I was looking for.

update:

Just opened a bottle and it's flat and tastes a little sweet. I'm gonna wait for another week or two. But I don't know if it will help as it seems all yeast dropped out of suspension.

Had this happen once with a sparkling mead and an apple "champagne", both times the yeast was essentially knocked out/dead.

Once by the abv going past the limits (didn't properly do my hillbilly math converting backwards imperial with proper metric) and the other I still don't know why (had a bit of fizz after 8 months in bottle)

How is the seal on the bottles? If there is the smallest leak the co2 can be eacapibg over time (though that wouldn't account for the sweetness)

Flat (beer or soda) always tastes sweeter than carbonated so just because it is sweet, doesn't mean there is priming sugar available. If it wasn't bread yeast, I would bet on a leak for sure but in your situation I'd guess it's a 50/50 chance of either.

Had this happen once with a sparkling mead and an apple "champagne", both times the yeast was essentially knocked out/dead.

Once by the abv going past the limits (didn't properly do my hillbilly math converting backwards imperial with proper metric) and the other I still don't know why (had a bit of fizz after 8 months in bottle)

How is the seal on the bottles? If there is the smallest leak the co2 can be eacapibg over time (though that wouldn't account for the sweetness)

I bottled in PET soda bottles. There was a hiss when I opened it, I even saw the gas escaping the bottle when opened, and also the bottle was hard indicating there's a decent pressure inside but for some reason it wasn't dissolved into the beer even tho I refrigerated for two and a half days...

Flat (beer or soda) always tastes sweeter than carbonated so just because it is sweet, doesn't mean there is priming sugar available. If it wasn't bread yeast, I would bet on a leak for sure but in your situation I'd guess it's a 50/50 chance of either.

I'm quite sure there's no leaking.
they say time heals everything, so I'm giving it another week (a total of 3 weeks) and a week in the fridge.

Back