Clear beer hazy in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard_langford

Reaction score
Hi,

I bottled my beer 2 weeks ago, tried a bottle after a week as it was my first brew and I couldn't wait! Lots of hoppy flavours! Looking through the bottles the beer is crystal clear, I then put the bottled beer into my beer fridge and it seems to haze up? Is this normal? Should I leave it longer? Thanks!

This is called chill haze, search for it online and you'll find a lot. Harmless, it's proteins that show up when the beer gets cold. Another week or two chilling and it should clear up.

Chill haze is from dissolved protiens clinging together when the beer first cools down in the fridge. Chilling the wort down as quickly as possible,like 20 minutes or less,helps get some cold break to get rid of some of those protiens. It helps elliminate or greatly reduce chill haze come fridge time.
When it does appear,give it a few days to a week to form & dissipate. It will settle out like a fog.

I did use a wort chiller, cooled down to 27*c in 15 mins so didn't take long, if I leave them out of the fridge will the same process occur or does it have to go in the fridge for this to happen? Thanks for your replies

Haze will disaster with additional time. If you're in hurry you can take the bottles out of the fridge, allow them to warm up again and then put them back in the fridge to chill down.

This works sometimes IME, not always....

Time.You will start to see it clear up with fridge time.Generally.

Note that chill haze is harmless and does not affect the flavor of the beer. While the beer may appear less clear than you'd like when you pour it into a glass, if it warms up a couple of degrees it will go away and the beer will be clear.

It'll form in the fridge as soon as the beer cools down to fridge temp. It'll settle out like a fog in a couple days. I haven't had it disipate in the glass as the beer warms though. Some kind of fining agent will help this too. I use Fivestar Super Moss.

Idk...There are many times my beer warms in the glass by the time I finish it. But the super moss def helped big time.

Note that chill haze is harmless and does not affect the flavor of the beer. While the beer may appear less clear than you'd like when you pour it into a glass, if it warms up a couple of degrees it will go away and the beer will be clear.

That's been my experience as well.

I always admit that I could be wrong, but my understanding is/was that Irish Moss helps remove hotbreak materials and Gelatin will help remove chillhaze.
So, I use both- I.M. in the last 10 minutes of the boil, and gelatin after cold crashing a couple days before bottling.
Works for me....

Back