Cleaning vinyl tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Any suggestions or information sites on cleaning techniques for vinyl tubing for small scale home brewing. I am new to this forum and relatively new to brewing. Thanks!

Any suggestions or information sites on cleaning techniques for vinyl tubing for small scale home brewing. I am new to this forum and relatively new to brewing. Thanks!

I rinse the tubing I use for transfering while I'm brewing with very hot water then I hang it to dry. And I throw it away when it starts to look dark. Vinyl tubing is so cheap and one infection will more than cover the cost of replacement!

I soak mine for an hour or so in very hot PBW. Then rinse very thoroughly in very hot water. Hasn't darkened or stained in one year, haven't replaced it yet.

Mine takes longer than a year to show its age and I brew about once a month.

I took a piece (~7.5') of 18 AWG wire, stripped a couple inches, made an eyelet & soldered w/ lead free solder. Then I take a 1.25" x 1.25" square patch used for cleaning gun barrels and thread it through the eyelet. Push the wire through the hose and slowly pull the patch through.

I have a drying hook above my sink near the ceiling & I tied the wire to it & slowly rotated the hose as I pulled the patch through it. Same thing with the racking cane (hard piece).

Mine was getting slimy even after sitting in starsan, or maybe even Especially. I used to pump some sanitizer through it then hang it but even with somewhat thorough practice it got dirtier than I liked.

I used to do the same thing with my camelback water lines using a coat hanger and patch - this works better.

528165_4740688557062_100473169_n.jpg

Back