Cleaning up a scratched/used SS Table?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
I was planning on following this guys tutorial, as he seems to know what hes doing. Maybe with the addition of some Brasso at some point?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOmUran35dE[/ame]

Any other tips you guys have picked up? I bought a SS table off Clist thats in pretty good condition, only lots of small scratches on it from being used in a kitchen and pots/knives/etc being dragged across it. I got it for relatively cheap($150) so i figure i can spend a few bucks trying to get it close to pristine again.

Ive read a lot of reviews of different cleaning products that seem to only be for stainless sinks and people that put it on stainless appliances seemed to screw up their SS appliance more than make it better, then again for all i know they just misused the product.

I followed Bobby's tutorial in the "Polishing your keg..." thread on HBT - which is now missing the important links.

But...Bobby has the essence of the process on his site here.

You might stop before you need sunglasses to use your table though...

Cheers! ;)

True i suppose i could do that, i did it for my keggle it was a ton of work though lol.

I think i even have some extra gator pads and polish around somewhere in all these damn moving boxes.

I did a couple of corny kegs which were an epic ***** to keep from rolling around, but it should be a lot easier working on a nice flat stable surface...

Cheers!

I did a couple of corny kegs which were an epic ***** to keep from rolling around, but it should be a lot easier working on a nice flat stable surface...

Cheers!

This is true, the keggle was a PITA because it has so many rounded seams, the polish would get all gunked up in the circumfrence welds around the keg and was a PITA to get off

Not sure you want a polished table. Stainless work surfaces are a "brushed" fiinish because it hides wear. A polished surface would require constant maintenance. You want small scratches all in the same direction. I would use a belt sander.

This is true, its already hard enough to keep it from getting scratches...but using the buffing wheel may get some of the various scratches it has out. I just wouldnt use the final polishing wheel.

Not sure you want a polished table. Stainless work surfaces are a "brushed" fiinish because it hides wear. A polished surface would require constant maintenance. You want small scratches all in the same direction. I would use a belt sander.

I would second this, a brushed finish looks nice, and will take only a small fraction of the time and money. With a polished finish, if you don't go deep enough to fully remove all the scratches, they can be more evident.

A polished table will also show new scratches.

It has "patina".........Leave it, or you'll be forever fussing over scratches you add to it.

I would scrub it with an red "ScotchBrite" hand pad, and some Barkeepers friend, and roll with it.

It has "patina".........Leave it, or you'll be forever fussing over scratches you add to it.

I would scrub it with an red "ScotchBrite" hand pad, and some Barkeepers friend, and roll with it.

+1
It is a work surface. You are going to be working with things that will continually be wearing on the surface.
Surface scratches will only minimally affect the ability to clean and sanitize a stainless steel surface.
The food and beverage industry generally doesn't worry about it, and neither should you.

Latest posts

Back