Cleaning Tap Handles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got done making a keezer and have my first kegs in there now. I'm thinking about cleaning after the beers are gone. Do folks take your tap handles completely apart after each beer, or just run BLC through the lines and faucet and call it good?

I run water just to rinse immediately after the keg kicks. If I don't have time, then I run oxiclean free through it and then rinse.

Then starsan before the next keg gets hooked up.

I use Perlick 650ss faucets on stainless shanks and bev seal ultra 235 barrier tubing. This allows me to be a bit lazy about cleaning after a keg, and I never let the lines go dry. Once a keg has kicked, I immediately put on another keg. I only take apart my faucets for a deep clean or if there is a problem - if I think there is hop gunk or trub stuck in the faucet.

If you are using a different setup, your cleaning regimen may need to be different. Especially if you are using pvc lines, you will want to regularly flush the lines as a best practice.

Especially if you are using rear sealing faucets, you will want to take those apart to clean and examine the seals regularly as well.

So, the question really is, what is your serving setup hardware?

Latest posts

Back