cleaning pretty clean bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPgunny

Reaction score
Couldn't think of a better title than that! Anyway, I remove all the labels from my bottles with either PBW or oxiclean so I have a nice collection of label-free bottles.

Once I've re-emptied these bottles (meaning drank my homebrew), I'll usually give them 2-3 thorough rinsings before setting them aside for future use. Since they're already rinsed now, is there any reason to soak them again before I use them to bottle or can I just give them a rinse with a bottle washer and dip them in Starsan?

I always just do a good rinsing with hot water after I pour the glass, flip them over in the dishwasher to dry fully then they go back into storage for the next bottling session.

I never do. Immediately after emptying I add a little water shake the piss out of it (twice)
then I sanitize and dry on bottle tree. When I go to fill I sanitize agin.

After drinking, I give the bottle 2 rinses and a shake, invert & dry, then put away in a box. On bottling day, I just sanitize it. The Vinator makes that job a snap--best $20 I've spent.

sanitize.png

If you're storing them uncovered in a place where dust might build up, it's a good idea to rinse them before sanitizing. Otherwise you can go straight into the star san.

I usually give them a soak in oxiclean twice before starsan and bottling. The first soak removes the labels and anything in the bottle. Since they sit around for several months before I fill them, I usually give them a second quick soak in oxiclean the day before I bottle, then starsan them on bottling day. Probably don't need to but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I keep a little container of oxyclean next to my sink. After drinking each bottle I will rinse immediately then eventually sprinkle in a little bit of oxy and fill the bottle up. After anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight I'll rinse, drain and dry upside down. It takes two seconds to do this to a few bottles. On bottling day I rinse each to make sure there is no dust in it, then sanitize and they're ready to go.

Back