Cleaning nylon dry-hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryat66

Reaction score
I dryhop with 6x8 nylon bags, they work great and they're relatively inexpensive. I've always cleaned them with a PBW soak, hang to dry and store them in a Ziploc bag before the next use. However, the last time I went to dryhop, I noticed some minuscule bits of hop residue stuck in the seams. I had a brand new spare on hand so I used that bag instead.

Do those minuscule hop bits provide infection concerns? If yes, does an extended Star San soak (10-15 minutes to penetrate the soil) provide any assurances that micro-organisms would be killed?

I use nylon stockings. The only seam is near the toe. They are about $0.50/pair so if you don't want to wash them, just use a new one. That come to $0.25/keg.

grab a bowl from the kitchen - fill it with water - place bag in water - put bowl in microwave - boil for 10-15 min - remove bag from water - remove water and replace with starsan mix - soak for a few min - then hang the bag to dry - when dry place bag in zip bag and you are done...

edit: you can also use the method you are using but just add the starsan at the end and you should be good. PBW will wreck your bag longer term if you do it every time...

I just rinse them real good after pulling out the bag and squirt them with star san before adding hops the next brew day...never had any issues

Latest posts

Back