cleaning new fittings and plate-chiller for first-time use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herman2011

Reaction score
I just got a bunch of new stainless camlock fittings as well as a Duda Diesel plate-chiller and March pump. I was just going to run some PBW through it all before using for the first time but thought I'd check here to see if there's something else I should do in case of oils or whatever from the manufacturing process of these things.

herman2011 said:
I just got a bunch of new stainless camlock fittings as well as a Duda Diesel plate-chiller and March pump. I was just going to run some PBW through it all before using for the first time but thought I'd check here to see if there's something else I should do in case of oils or whatever from the manufacturing process of these things.

Subscribed! I'm waiting on mine to arrive today and was wondering the same thing. My plan was hot PBW followed by a clean water back flush.

I've been reading about PBW all day (how's that for instilling confidence?) and I'd bet that a quick soak or even a few flushes with PBW at 1/2 oz per gallon of hot (100F-150F) water will get any oil, wax, or any other manufacturing residue out with no trouble. Between the alkalinity and the surfactants it will clean it up no problem. And that's assuming there even is anything to be washed away . . . though I do think it's a good idea.

You can get a good flush / back-flush system going if you have an autosiphon, you can just use it to pump the solution through your chiller. Or you could hook up the pump and get that cleaned out as well.

And now, back to my afternoon project of formulating a PBW substitute recipe. :)

Back