Cleaning funk / haze off of glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Sorry for new post, but could not find the one I saw before.

Had a few glasses that I could not get the haze off of. Bought some vinegar and submerged one at a time in a container.

Just for fun, I checked after a little less than 5 minutes and all of the haze was completely gone.

I am assuming you could just wipe down with vinegar and get the same results.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere before, but I thought it was pretty amazing that it worked that fast.

Washed the glasses with Dawn, rinsed, and dried - look like brand new glasses - both the pint glasses and English pint glasses.

I guess I'm easily amused, but this really worked way better and a lot faster than I thought it would.

I know, I said would.

IMHO what you are cleaing with the vinigar is mineral deposit from your water, not from your beer. If you see the same type of haze or stuff that looks like haze in your bottles after a while of use it is more likely beerstone and will require a caustic cleaner to remove.

IMHO what you are cleaing with the vinigar is mineral deposit from your water, not from your beer. If you see the same type of haze or stuff that looks like haze in your bottles after a while of use it is more likely beerstone and will require a caustic cleaner to remove.

Yes, it is mineral deposits from our water, not beerstone.

Thanks

Wash all beer glasses by hand. Problem solved.

iagree.gif
I would never put a beer glass in a dishwasher. I have never tried beaksnbeers method, but I am set in my ways on this one.

I was my glasses by hand. Although they aren't cloudy, I suspect there is something hanging out on the glass since I lose head retention on ever beer (commercial and HB) that gets poured into them.

I will be trying the vinegar method soon.

I run all glassware in dishwasher with rinse aid turned off and china cycle (shortest time) and add a pint of vinegar.

Do you just fill a pint glass full of vinegar?

I tried the vinegar method on one of my water stained glasses last night by hand, and it worked out really good.:ban:

Back