Cleaning Cornelious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oxi free for an hour or so, then rinse 3-4 times with HOT water, then starsan. You don't need an overnight oxi soak unless you're letting the gunk form the previous keg sit in there until the next time you fill it. When a reg kicks, empty the trub and clean it.

You can use bleach solution as your sanitizer but you MUST rinse it well. and IMO sanitizers that you have to then rinse with unsanitized water, don't make much sense.

When a reg kicks, empty the trub and clean it.

Yeah i learned that the hard way. If you don't clean it right away you tend to forget about it. Then when you go to clean it everything is dried, hard and nasty and starts growing.

The first time I use a keg I bought I take it apart. I fill the keg with Oxy and hot water and put the dip tube in the keg. I put the lid and the posts in a bucket of oxyclean and hot water. Overnight, since they usually have soda still in them. Seems to kill any soda odor as well which I have read others complain about.

Next day I rinse the parts and the keg then use star san to sanitize and put the keg back together.

The first time I use a keg I bought I take it apart. I fill the keg with Oxy and hot water and put the dip tube in the keg. I put the lid and the posts in a bucket of oxyclean and hot water. Overnight, since they usually have soda still in them. Seems to kill any soda odor as well which I have read others complain about.

Next day I rinse the parts and the keg then use star san to sanitize and put the keg back together.

This is exactly what I do. Also check all the rubber o-rings and if they are cracking/broken replace them (it will cost like $3 to replace all 5). Otherwise they can both harbor bacteria and allow CO2 to leak out.

Pretty much what everybody else said, but I also invert the cornie into a bucket and let it soak upside down for a day. I had one that had to be soaked for multiple days to get dried root beer out of it.

Back