Cleaning brewing equip easier with Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have gone through my first few kegs of homebrew Cider and noticed that everything was easier to clean compared to my beer tap (from local microbrew). Is that the case with beer vs cider in general (that cider stuff is easier to clean)? All the cider lines were crystal clear after finishing the kegs. The beer line was cloudy (and didn't become fully clear again after cleaning). The beer tap was also the only one that was sticky. Most of the cleaning how-to's that I can find are based on beer lines/beer brewing. Are those how-to's overkill for cider? Does the acid in cider help keep things clean? I know there's no such thing as "too clean" but I'm looking to be more efficient if possible. For example, can I just run a pint of oxygen cleaner instead of 2 pints through to clean the lines between kegs? Can I use half strength oxygen cleaner to soak kegs? Can I just rinse jumper lines right after using them with hot water (and obviously sterilize before I use them again)? What has been your experience?

There are a ton of variables here...

But I'm making the assumption that your cider is dry, meaning their just isn't much for residual sugar sticking to things, whereas most beer has varying degrees of sugars, amino acids, minerals and proteins (see beerstone). Along the same lines, beer generally is much more complex with respect to ingredients than cider, meaning more things to get left behind.

Most ciders are relatively clear as compared to beer (exceptions apply) so what is left behind is less noticeable, but doesn't mean it doesn't leave residue behind. Thorough cleaning is still necessary.

Latest posts

Back