Cleaning and sanitizing question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh starsani isn't similar to oxy clean ?
Anyway you said use it immediately before bottling ? OK next one on will do, but thanks for confirming freezing helps keep any bad microbes down.
I use starsani at ridiculous strength. 1 teaspoon+ in a pint not 1 spoon in a gallon, maybe it takes me to the 3rd rinse before it dilutes itself to that normal strength. I'll from now on use star sani and rinse just before filling, I need a volunteer (my wife) to fill out of the gallon glass jars, I am a hand short for the time being, she's volunteered for later today. How later ? no idea.

Cool.
Srinath.
READ the instructions on the Star San label. it only needs 1 oz per gallon. and DO NOT RINSE the Star San out...

Star sani I prefer to not make a gallon of it, I am not using a lot of floor space in this case. Just counter space for 8 bottles. Besides, its burning hot, I am sort of paranoid I have to set the water boiling, 1 gal of it is just asking to burn my hands off. I already have the burnt fingers to prove my paranoia. LOL.
Cool.
Srinath.
im really not understanding your process. why is 1 gallon going to take up so much of your space? you make up a gallon of star san with 1 oz of the concentrate, pour some mixture in a spray bottle and spray it into each bottle ( i do 5 good stream squirts in each) shake it up so it foams , right before you fill it ,turn it upside down to drain or drain into the next bottle and repeat.. no burnt fingers and not much is wasted.
Not one person has asked this question so I guess I will. Why in the world are you freezing your jars?
Im very confused what youre doing and why did you come and ask for help if you arent going to take the advice ? Your batch is only 8 bottles??? why bother .
IF your name Jokester is any indication to the purpose of your post (plus Im seeing you joined in 2014 ,nearly 6 years,and yet have less than 250 posts), i'm not entertained .
If I'm completely wrong about that ,then I 100% apologize.

My wife is amazing. I have been married for 27 years. And I have hobbies like someone with ADD. Motorcycles, cars (though I now am failing and backing off this - I did fill our closet in the 1BR apt we had with Triumph Spitfire parts 3 months after we got married), keto/IF/crazy diet, audio equipment and now fermenting stuff. So I got some runaway hobbies, 2 shipping containers full and its literally insane.
I'm jokester only because my wife wanted me to not post as me (Srinath) much, but I get bored with changing my pattern much so I sign as Srinath.
The posts and questions are serious. I may actually get into brewing from scratch, but for now the goal is to get to super low carb and I am dead serious about it.
So the steps have been, buy a beer that I find good at the clearance rack because some rather meeh beers like Pabst's APA last summer or my current crop of Pabst Black (6.5% abv) at 50c a can.
Ferment them with amg300. 6.5 abv and 20 carbs a can can turn to 6 carb a can and 10abv.
Freeze it and melt out about 1/3rd. Freeze concentration.
Result, 60ml is a drink and likely has 1 gm carb or less.
I am sending it out to whitelabs in the next day or 2 so I'll know if I am getting 30% or I'm in the teens or where I am.
I didn't post much till mid 2019 because I am not a home brewer yet. I joined because I started making kombucha in 2014. Turns out, I didn't have a problem that would be cured by kombucha.
I am open to taking advice, however I understand you guys are all brewers. I am not. I am at best a beer modifier and a beer concentrator. Some problems and observations cross over but many do not. Since I am facing it I need to take the parts I need. Sometimes I dont even
explain my problem well enough to get even close to the right answer.

BTW star sani - Let me try tasting it. I have some weirdly sensitive taste buds. I might not even taste an oxidized beer or even find it objectionable - not sure now. But I can taste the paper in tea made with a tea bag. Hence I do not drink tea made with a bag. However I don't taste paper in coffee and it is made with paper filter. So I guess I am weird. But if I taste starsani, I will be rinsing it out for sure. I'll not put dishwashing liquid in these in my next batch, thanks for that suggestion.

Cool.
Srinath.

BTW I love cleaning and sanitizing. So the ultra hot water works well for me. Its water so no chemicals, and it kills microbes with temperature rather than chemicals.
But if the options are - eat weird bacteria. vs drink some toxic cleaner residue, I will 100% all the time everywhere every time prefer to eat microbes or toss the stuff out. Not even close. Chemicals will harm me more than microbes. I know that by now. I'd rather stay sober than get drunk of some chemical laden concoction.

Star sani - well the jury is still out. I am tolerating - barely the taste of it. But after fermentation will it get in the beer to remind me of this taste ??? no idea. But as a light cleaner at the bottling stage, its out. Or needs to be diluted 1000 more times ...

OTOH, I think Lagunitas willetized can be fermented without dilution, seems to have lots of sugar and low coffee to kill the yeast. And I have just the right yeast cake to fire it off.

Cool.
Srinath.

drink some toxic cleaner residue,
Diluted Star San is non-toxic and it will absolutely not add flavor or affect the beer in any negative way.

Rinsing it defeats the purpose of sanitizing because tap water is not sterile.

Dilute it properly and there's nothing to worry about.
I'd rather stay sober than get drunk of some chemical laden concoction.
Beer is %100 chemicals, so I guess you'll be sober from now on?

Lets see if I can taste the chemicals in addition to the beer OK, and if I find it objectionable. I don't necessarily have the taste buds of everyone else. I swear I can taste gelatin I used to clear my maibock. Was it objectionable - in that beer, no, would it be in something else - probably.
Cool.
Srinath.

Back