Cleaning aluminum bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemidoc

Reaction score
I have a bunch of But Light Aluminum bottles with screw tops and some with press on tops.
Any Ideas how to clean these to use with some of my lawnmower beers?
I will be filling them from a keg that was force carbed.

I would run them through the dishwasher, dry with heat, and then sanitize prior to capping. If they are really dirty, then use some PBW or oxyclean prior to sanitizing. Cheers!

This doesn't answer your question, but I tried bottling in the ones with the screw on "re-sealable" caps, and I found they did not hold pressure. They looked they would seal, but the carbonation was low, so I stopped using them after one try.

In response to your question: I think using a dishwasher for bottles or bottle-cans is not effective or efficient. The water doesn't really get into the bottles to do much cleaning. The heat will disinfect, but you waste a bunch of water and power to do something a quick rinse with sanitizer can do. Instead, use hot water -- and maybe PBW as needed -- with a bottle brush to clean. If you rinse immediately after pouring, hot water and a bottle brush will do it. But I assume you are finding them on your lawn -- not drinking them! :)

Back