Cleaning A Used Sankey Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
So I bought a used sankey keg from a friend who cut the top off for me using a plasma torch. There was a bunch of stuff caked to the bottom and sides that pretty much all came clean after an Oxyclean soak, then a PBW soak and lots of scrubbing with a Scotch-Brite Non-Scratch Scour Pad. I got about 95% of the slag and staining off the keg.

However, around the middle groove on the inside, there is some whiteish residue deposit that looks like hard water scale. I was able to scrub a few of the spots off, but other spots will not come off. I was going to try and create a sort of paste with Bar Keepers Friend and let it sit on the spots.

My question is, if I cannot get these spots clean, can I still use the keggle to boil in? Or should I just try harder to get these out. If I cannot scrub it clean with a cleanser, what other options can I try? Or am I just being overly paranoid?

Also, even though the scour pad said "non-scratch", it looks like it still left tiny little scratches. Nothing that looks deep or bad..just slightly scratched in some spots. The same thing happened to the outside of my 5 gallon kettle when I took a sponge scrubby to it.

20150910_064955.jpg

20150910_065009.jpg

20150910_065054.jpg

That's a nice keggle, excellent job!

This is your boil kettle, so I wouldn't worry about small scratches and abrasions or the white spots. If they don't come off with a Scotch Brite pad, they probably won't come off in the boil either. Since everything in there is boiled, it's all being sanitized.

I agree, those "scratch free" pads being sold like that makes no sense. They're abrasive as hell!

So what's your first brew in this vessel? 10 gallon batch?

I agree, that looks plenty clean to me, just be sure to rinse any residue from the BKF. The white spots could be mineral deposits, and could possibly be removed with acid or full strength vinegar IDK. I would use it as is....or if your obsessed keep trying :)

Thanks! Would I be safe to use undiluted Star San? I'm assuming that's what you mean by acid. I may obsess further over it..or I may call it good. If it looks good to you folks, that's good enough for me :)

I still have some work to go on this..I have yet to buy my valve or pickup tube, but I know where I want to get them and as soon as I have them in hand I will contact my friend who has a step bit so I can get a port drilled in this thing. I have a 12 gallon cooler MLT already built..I just need to do 1 more check to make sure the valve is water tight. Then I need to get a burner...but I am closer than ever to my first AG batch! I plan on just doing 5 gallon batches for now.

I was in the market for a 10 gallon kettle, but I found this for much cheaper so I figured why the hell not?! My first batch in it will either be a Scotch ale or my hoppy American stout. I haven't decided yet.

Latest posts

Back