Cleaning a fermentation bucket after a lacto infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I've brewed for years but, just switched to buckets a while back. I had a beer go sour on me for the first time since I switched. Now, the plastic bucket I fermented it in smells sour. Should I be worried about it effecting a new batch if I choose to ferment in it? Or, just wash, sanitize and reuse?
Thanks

Give it a good clean with hot PBW or similar. Add a cup of thin, non-scented bleach and fill up to the brim with water. Let it sit for a few hours. Rinse, dry and cover. Ready to sanitise before use.

With plastic, it will typically develop micro scratches that help harbor microbes and make some infections extra hard to eradicate. It's also good to refresh an old bucket from time to time. I suggest a new bucket.

Personally if I were to sanitize, I would hit something alkaline first, then iodine then acid (the 3 things I have that all work to kill differently).

I have had bottles go bad in previous years, and future batches in the same equipment turn out fine. Not sure if the infection was in the fermenter though or a later step.

It was in the fermenter. I use a cloth to wash them. Trying to keep abrasion down. I guess, all a guy can do is replace it or wash and sanitize the crap out of it and see what happens. Shame to throw it out when I just bought it a month ago or so. But... Shame to get another infection, too. Guess, I'll just have to make a decision to try it or replace it.

Oh. I just realized, you meant you weren't sure if YOUR infection was in the fermenter. Not, the infection I just had. Anyway, the rest of what I said still applies.

If it's new and you knew to avoid scratches, I think you may have a good chance. Sanitize real real good and make a small, cheap brew, perhaps keeping it in primary a little longer than you normally might just to see, and perhaps bottled into the safety of plastic soda bottles.

Give it a good clean with hot PBW or similar. Add a cup of thin, non-scented bleach and fill up to the brim with water. Let it sit for a few hours. Rinse, dry and cover. Ready to sanitise before use.
I never heard of thin or thick bleach. How do I tell if what I have is thin bleach or not?

Thick bleach is gelatinous and made to stick to surfaces, like toilet bowls, and often scented for marketing purposes. Use the cheap watery bog standard stuff.

I used plastic FVs with noticeable scratches for years and still managed to eradicate suspect infections. The idea, if it’s scratched it’s infected forever, is a myth based on paranoia. Bleach or iodophor is going to kill it.

Hot water will kill bacteria too. Fill your bucket with water as close to boiling as you can. Doesn't take long to kill any bacteria, even those in micro scratches.

bleach is your friend...

Also there is no expiration on a bucket...love your bucket and it will love you back...clean gently...

I still use my original 1994 bucket. Still makes great beer.

It would seem intuitive to not use a cleaning device or material that is harder than the bucket to clean it. Two of my fermenters are pretty old, three of them around five years. Plastic does hold onto beer smells which isn't a big deal since they're used for making beer.
I use bleach, as mentioned, but at a higher ratio plus unscented dish soap. With a simple terrycloth towel and/or a soft bristle brush, all debris is removed. Rinse really well and dry.
I can see how scratches could happen inadvertently though like using a metal something or other to oxygenate the beer when adding yeast.

Back