Cleaning a Conical Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnyb722

Reaction score
I everyone, this maybe a silly question, but here goes.

I have a Mini Brew conical, I have made three batches in this and they have been good. The question is, do I need to take everything apart every time I clean it? I.e., should I disassemble the racking port and bottom port every time I clean it?

Thanks for your help.

I have a small stainless conical and I take it completely apart to clean after each use. Especially with fermenting I make sure it is clean and nothing left to ruin my next batch.

What's the point of a conical when only doing 5 gallon batches? I can see the idea when you're doing a full BBL or more, but for a 5 gal batch, why not just use a carboy at 1/5th the price? Is there something about the conical shape that's worth it?

I like being able to get the trub out, and I like the cool looks of it. Oh yeah, I get to say, "I use a conical as a Fermentor".

Smile, it's all good.

Haha I guess those are as good a reason as any. I'm still pretty new to brewing so I wasn't sure if there was a benefit beyond those.

Maybe I'll get one!

Conicals are awesome! You can drop trub and dead yeast thereby eliminating the need to rack to a secondary. I also dry hop with both pellets and whole hops without bags or weights without issue as they all settle out on the bottom.

Back