Cleaner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVWildman

Reaction score
Hello just started a batch of brew and was out of sanitizer so I rinsed a carboy with denatured alcohol. I rinsed it until I couldn't detect an odor. Was this a stupid mistake. Its fermenting like crazy right now but a friend told me that residue could make me go blind now I'm thinking about dumping it out.

If you rinsed it several times I can't see it being a problem. Just my thoughts.

I used about an ounce per 5 gallon of water. I dumped it and rinsed the carboy then let it sit filled with water while I boiled the batch. Then dumped it and filled it with wort.

Even if you didn't rinse it, you'd be fine. Denatured alcohol won't kill you or make you go blind, and the chemicals used to denature it are volatile and will evaporate along with the alcohol. If it's dry, it's safe to use. And even if it didn't dry, the dose makes the poison, and you're diluting any residue in 5 gallons of beer. You couldn't get enough residue in you to do anything even if you tried.

And if there were enough of the denaturing chemicals in some sort of residue, it would probably kill your yeast long before it killed you.

You rinsed several times, you're fine. Rinsing several times was how we were taught to clean labware in chemistry class, where even a small residue of an earlier experiment could contaminate and ruin the current one.

Keep the denatured alcohol away from your brew in the future, though :mug:.

Yeah,with 1oz per 5G of water,& being rinsed besides,you've got nothing to worry about. But get some PBW to clean with & some Starsan to sanitize with in the future. Starsan is a wet contact,no rinse sanitizer. PBW in the right dilution will clean just about anything,but must be rinsed. Although it rinses off quite easilly. In the recommended dilutions,both are food grade.

Thank you very much. I was worried and now I'm not :D I have some cleaner and sanitizer on the way for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back