clean, attenuative American dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
I've noticed there are now at least a couple alternatives to US05 if you want a dry American yeast that attenuates well and is very clean:
-CellarScience CALI dry yeast
-Lalbrew Bry97 west coast ale yeast
-there may be others i haven't seen

Has anyone compared the ones I mentioned or others?

I think I want to start using clean, dry American yeast to do my imperial stouts so I don't have to make huge starters or pitch onto yeast cakes anymore. I just want to add a ton of dry yeast and be done. I've used US05 and it seems fine, but I thought I'd see if there are better options...

I think I want to start using clean, dry American yeast to do my imperial stouts just want to add a ton of dry yeast and be done. I've used US05 and it seems fine, but I thought I'd see if there are better options...

Why not consider an English type ale yeast like S33? It would be more true to style. (I don't know anything about the others you mentioned.)

I've noticed there are now at least a couple alternatives to US05 if you want a dry American yeast that attenuates well and is very clean:
-CellarScience CALI dry yeast
-Lalbrew Bry97 west coast ale yeast
-there may be others i haven't seen

Has anyone compared the ones I mentioned or others?

I think you'll find most of them are just repacked US-05, about the only one that is significantly different is BRY-97 which is a better-floccing, slower-starting derivative of the original BRY-96 so presumably lacks the BAT1 mutation that appears to have happened at Sierra Nevada and which makes the US-05/1056 group a little fruitier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...f-white-labs-yeast.642831/page-2#post-8916547
Why not consider an English type ale yeast like S33? It would be more true to style. (I don't know anything about the others you mentioned.)

Meh - a real British imperial stout would be fermented with a multistrain that would have rather higher attenuation than S-33 on its own, mixing with Notty would be a better approximation.

In the circumstances, Notty or its cousins would probably be the best option - Munton's Gold or Gervin Ale (from Wilko if you're in the UK) would be cheaper options if you're taking the "just throw tons of dry yeast at it" approach. Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale is generally thought to be repacked Notty.

Another option if you want clean is a Frohberg lager yeast like 34/70 which works fine at ale temperatures.

Maybe I'll just stick with the tried and true US-05 at this point. I assume it will be able to get me into the 12-15% ABV range if I desire. Never tried it, but I think many of the popular Imperial Stout breweries are using chico to get to 12-15%

i think many places just use a default of 11% for Chico. I saw similar stuff on Wyeast, some are 10% and some are 11% for their yeasts, but people have emailed them to ask the real limit and they said it is higher.
I'll agree that Fermentis may be conservative with the information that they provide at their web site.

Back