"classic" versions of beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettFitz

Reaction score
A different thread about "experimental beers" here got me to thinking -

I've been into craft beers at a more serious level for about 3 years. I'm late to the game, there are so many different choices. World of Beer, Total Wine... There are probably 100 IPAs in the Total Wine near me.

So it got me to thinking. With so many different versions of each style, with a great variety of characteristics of each out there, where can a new person go to find a "CLASSIC example" of some of the more common beer styles out there? I'll list a few that I'm curious about, and maybe as you add your beer that fits the bill you can add a style to the list.

I'm not asking about characteristics that describe a style, I'm talking about a beer that is out there that you think represents that style more accurately than any other.

1. IPA
2. 2IPA
3. Brown Ale
4. stout
5. Imperial Stout
6. pilsner
7. porter
8. German pilsner
9. Cali Common/Steam beer - (I'll stab at this one: Anchor)
10. Hefe

Hope you play along. If you only have one style conviction, add it to the list. I look forward to the opinion of your experienced palates!

I'm betting the European styles will have more of a consensus. The American beers -- wow, such a variety. It might be interesting.

Cheers-

If you look at the BJCP style guidelines you will see a list of representative commercial examples. I believe they are listed in order of representativeness (ie the first beer listed is THE representative of the style, as defined by the BJCP)

Www.BJCP.org

Hey now! Thanks JLem! Lots of interesting stuff there.

Still, I'm more curious about other home brewers' top choice for each. Plus, the list I saw was from 2008. There are scads of new brewers out there.

BrettFitz said:
Hey now! Thanks JLem! Lots of interesting stuff there.

Still, I'm more curious about other home brewers' top choice for each. Plus, the list I saw was from 2008. There are scads of new brewers out there.

Well, that's a different question then. The BJCP guidelines are updated every so often - in fact, they're probably up for a revision soonish if I had to guess - and are the only guide I know of for "classic" examples of styles. Homebrewers' favorites may not be the best representation of the "classic" styles, but I'm sure folks will have no problem giving you their opinion :)

As for my commercial favorites:

IPA - bear republic's racer 5
2IPA - Trinity brewhouse's decadence (one of the best beers I've ever had, regardless of style, fresh at the brewpub)
Stout - samuel smith's oatmeal stout
Porter - mayflower beer company

I don't tend to drink the other styles on your list, though Anchor is surely the best steam beer I've ever had. It's also the worst steam beer I've ever had.

Back