"Citrusy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwright

Reaction score
What does the "citrus" flavor taste like? I fermented an American Pale Ale pretty warm at around 72 (ambient temp) and was not expecting citrus flavor to be bad. But now I am trying the beer, after 10 days in primary (yes, I was eager) and 2.5 weeks in bottles (yes, I was eager) it tastes like grapefruit. Is this the citrus flavor associated with warm fermentation? I was expecting something fruity and delicious like orange. Now I have punishing grapefruit. IBU's around 70, but the grapefruit taste is unaffiliated with the hops I think. Used Notty Ale yeast and cascade pellet hops.

Cascade can give a grapefruit flavor, but u usually get it from chinook. I personally love the flavor. I don't think it is from the temp. I ferment IPAs at that all the time in the summer, and your ferment and bottling times shouldn't be a factor eather. Are you sure there is no chinook?

Lots of hops can give you a grapefruit flavor. What yeast did you use?
If the room temp was 72, when fermenting is going on, you can expect a rise in the beer to go up 5-8 degrees, maybe more. That definitely can cause some yeast to give off estery flavors as well as a host of other off flavors depending on how the temperature went.

Back