Citrus/high AA hops in hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has any advice on using citrus-y or high alpha acid hops in hefeweizens.

I'm planning a weissbier for the summer, and instead of making something 'to style' I might experiment with a new hop variety. The hop I have in mind at the moment is Wai-iti, a New Zealand hop; I haven't brewed with this before but it's quite low in AA (around 4%), and allegedly gives big flavours of mandarin, lemon and lime zest. I did have Mandarina Bavaria in mind, but I can't get hold of it at the moment. I'm planning on bittering with some Magnum then adding some Wai-iti at flame out (possibly dry hop, too).

I know that Schneider has a Nelson Sauvin-hopped weissbier but I haven't tried this - or any other - hefeweizen hopped with non-traditional hops before, so any advice would be welcome!

That sounds interesting!

I'd like to make an AWA using this new Lemon Drop hops type.

go for it, I brewed a hefe with citra and amarillo and it was awesome. If you want to at least stay German go with Hallertau Blanc, Huell Melon or Mandarina Bavaria (PM me if you still can't find any of those)

Thanks for the advice so far - I think I might run with a Wai-Iti hefeweizen.

Bump - for any other experience or comments?

I did a hefe with a little Hallertau and cascade, and plan on doing the same with some Amarillo added as well. It's a great idea. Do it

I would love to know how this turns out! Please keep us updated!
I'm running several New Zealand hops experiments at the moment as well :D

I ended up making this beer - recipe below.

I kegged and force carbed the majority of the batch, also taking off six bottles which I primed for bottle conditioning. This is what I do for most of my brews and sometimes there is a minimal difference in character between keg and bottle, but no real variation on flavour.

However, there is a huge difference between between the keg and bottled versions of this: the keg is a decent lawnmower beer - light, muted esters from the yeast, thin body, refreshing. The bottle: prominent yet balanced banana and clove from the yeast, very thick mouthfeel, more prominent hop flavour from the wai-iti which is almost non-existent in the keg version. The bottled version is also slightly darker in colour. In short, the keg version is mediocre, the bottled version is great.

Has anyone else had a similar experience brewing hefeweizens? Would keg conditioning help improve the flavour of the keg version? Or does bottling just produce better weissbier?

Wai-iti Weisse (Weizen/Weissbier)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 3.3 (EBC): 6.5
Bitterness (IBU): 16.4 (Average)

50% Pilsner
50% Wheat Malt

0.4 g/L Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Wai-iti (4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back