Citrus candy pale ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I'm going for something with lots of citrus flavor, but a nice sweet malt back bone and comes together for a "citrus candy" effect. I was originally going to use a 1/2 lb of Belgian candi sugar, but decided to go with CaraWheat once I saw it and its description...

7.70 lb 2 row
1 lb wheat malt (10%)
.5 lb CaraWheat (5%)
.5 lb table sugar

OG 1.057

26 IBU

.3 oz citra 60 min
.25 oz centinnial 60 min
.25 oz each at 5 min
.75 citra at 1 min
.5 centinnial 1 min

Think about dry hopping .75 citra and .5 centinnial as well...

Anybody done citra and centinnial together? Sounds like a good combo to me, but I really don't know

I've intentionally kept the IBUs pretty low, as I do want the CaraWheat maltyness to come through. But I don't have any experience with CaraWheat

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm intrigued by this because I'm trying to forumlate a recipe that my wife will like and is not too bitter. She does not like IPAs. So I'm in your camp for using citra and centennial. Only thing I know is that Citra tends to overwhelm most other hops when you Dryhop. You may want to up the centennial if you want to get any centennial chararcter in the DH. Other than that I think it will be a great combo.

I have come up with something like this. It is an extract recipe and it is not final.

6.5 lbs extra light DME
1 lbs Caramel 60L
.5 Amarillo 60m
1oz Citra 15m
1oz Centennial 5 m
1oz Citra 1 m

Dry Hop 7 day: 1 oz Centennial and.5 Amarillo

I've actually considered changing the 60m hops to willamette to keep the IBUs down and then ramping up the Citra in late additions.

Hokieguy95 honestly I wouldn't bitter with Amarillo that's a waste of such a good hop. Go with the Willamette or move the Amarillo from 60 to 20 that way you still get a little bitterness thats soft but also the nice flavors that Amarillo has that would be lost at 60.

Tastyadventure I would move the 60m citra/centennial to 20m or 30m. That would be the main change for me.

Back