Citrus Blonde Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlonardo

EngiBEERing Since 2012
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a blonde ale for some easy Spring drinking and was hoping to get a good amount of citrus hop flavors in there. Please take a look at my recipe and give me some advice:

Grain Bill:
Pale 2-Row 9 lb.
Caramel 10L 0.5 lb.
Honey Malt 0.5 lb.
Carapils 0.25 lb.

Hops:
0.5 oz. Amarillo 60 min.
0.25 oz. Amarillo 5 min.
0.5 oz. Citra 5 min.
0.5 oz. Sorachi Ace 5 min.
0.5 oz. Sorachi Ace flameout

Yeast:
US-05

Mash for 60 min @ 152 F.

Comment?

Is it safe to assume that my recipe is perfect and cannot be improved upon? 😄🍻

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a batch similar to this with an ounce of Sorachi at flameout. I don't recall what my bittering hops were, but sorachi was fantastic. I would think Amarillo with it could only mean some wonderful citrus aromas. I've never used citra, but I've heard good things. I'd say it sounds great. I just brewed something somewhat similar with some of the "C" hops and a very similar grain bill. I was also hoping for a nice light spring beer. I say go for it.

Cheers!
:mug:

So my LHBS doesn't have Caramel 10. First I thought I would just switch to 20L and cut it to 4 oz and increase the 2-row to make up the gravity points. Then I thought that maybe the presence of the caramel at all may make it too sweet with the honey malt.

I've never used honey malt but I've read that it can be pretty sweet. Anyone have any different ideas?

So my LHBS doesn't have Caramel 10. First I thought I would just switch to 20L and cut it to 4 oz and increase the 2-row to make up the gravity points. Then I thought that maybe the presence of the caramel at all may make it too sweet with the honey malt.

I've never used honey malt but I've read that it can be pretty sweet. Anyone have any different ideas?

In the recipe I mentioned, I used Vienna. Not a bad choice instead of 10L in my opinion.

I FINALLY got around to brewing this bad boy.

Overshot on my volumes, rather than a long boil I just let it ride. Won't be as strong, but at least there will be more of it.

The final recipe was as follows:

8 lbs. Briess Pale 2-row
8 oz. Honey Malt
8 oz. Vienna Malt
4 oz. Carapils

0.25 oz. Amarillo - FWH
0.25 oz. Amarillo - 20 min.
0.25 oz. Citra - 20 min.
0.25 oz. Sorachi Ace - 20 min.
0.5 Whirfloc - 15 min.
0.5 oz. Dried Lemon Peel - 5 min.
0.25 oz. Citra - Flameout
0.25 oz. Sorachi Ace - Flameout
Zest of 1 Lemon - Flameout
Zest of 1 Orange - Flameout

Pitch 1 packet of Safale US-05.

Target OG was 1.046 @ 5.5 gallons, ended up with 1.040 @ 6.25 gallons. Efficiencies were almost dead on.

Contemplating whether or not I want to let a gallon of this sit on some oranges/lemons after primary. Regardless, this smelled awesome. I'm really excited for the Citra and Sorachi hops. If this turns out well, I'll plan to remake it with my leftover hops!

Active fermentation has all but stopped. It's been hot here the past couple of days, so the fermentation temp got up pretty high (75-79). I got nervous so I decided to take a gravity sample and to check for any off flavors.

Holy Citrus Batman. Smells likes oranges and lemons. Tastes semi sweet with strong orange and lemon flavors. The closest commercial example I can think of is leinenkugel summer shandy. Definitely what I was going for. This should be great on a hot summer day.

Gravity was 1.008. Shouldn't drop much more. Puts it about 4.2% ABV and should be VERY drinkable. Definitely not going to let any sit in fruit. More than enough in there.

Maybe later in the summer I'll brew it again without the zest/lemon peel additions. I'd like to see how much flavor only the hops are contributing...

Back