Double IPA Citrosaic IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sternamagraph

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
bottles
Tasting Notes
Yummy Peach nose and lots of tropical fruit taste
13.8 lb American - Pale 2-Row 81.2%
0.8 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 10L 4.7%
0.8 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 4.7%
0.8 lb American - Munich - Light 10L 4.7%
0.4 lb American - White Wheat 2.4%
0.4 lb Canadian - Honey Malt 2.4%
17 lb Total

1oz Citra 60min
1oz Mosaic 60min
.5oz Citra 30min
.5oz Mosaic 15min
.5oz Mosaic 5min
.5oz Citra Flameout
1oz Mosaic Dryhop
1oz Citra Dryhop

White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

13.8 lb American - Pale 2-Row 81.2%
0.8 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 10L 4.7%
0.8 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 4.7%
0.8 lb American - Munich - Light 10L 4.7%
0.4 lb American - White Wheat 2.4%
0.4 lb Canadian - Honey Malt 2.4%
17 lb Total

1oz Citra 60min
1oz Mosaic 60min
.5oz Citra 30min
.5oz Mosaic 15min
.5oz Mosaic 5min
.5oz Citra Flameout
1oz Mosaic Dryhop
1oz Citra Dryhop

White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

I would drop the 2 oz of hops for bittering, that's way too much for 60 min. You could do a 1 oz blend of the two, that would be better.

Or you could use a clean bittering hop, like Magnum or Galena, and push the Mosaic and Citra back to late addition hops for an aroma boost.

Other than that, it looks pretty tasty. :mug:

glad it turned out well for you, gonna brew this again this weekend, my last batch went into a competition that it didnt place in. although everyone loved it.

White wheat helps with head retention.

So does Carapils... and the large quantity of hops you're using will also help.

Skip the wheat it's just going to induce haze. The other helpful properties of wheat have already been covered in the rest of your ingredients.

Bump up the 2-row to 14.5 lbs and you'll be set.

Making this recipe today , bumped up 2 row to 14.5 lbs , mashing at 154* , hope it turns out good . My 1st attempt at an IIPA & Mosaic -Citra hops

So does Carapils... and the large quantity of hops you're using will also help.

Skip the wheat it's just going to induce haze. The other helpful properties of wheat have already been covered in the rest of your ingredients.

Bump up the 2-row to 14.5 lbs and you'll be set.

Ironically, given your avitar, the best known HT clone has 12 oz each of Caramalt and white wheat...

Still, with having both the Carapils and wheat, and also the crystal malt, that may be a bit more body/unfermentables than you need -- I think the evidence of this is your rather high finishing gravity. I'd sub out either the crystal or the Carapils, or perhaps half each of them, and then add in the remainder of the missing weight as dextrose. Having a portion of the grist made up of simple sugar is a pretty common trick for a DIPA/IIPA, and will make it much more drinkable.

Love me some Citra and Mosaic though! I bet they go really good together!

Kegging this for the first time tonight, iv made this 4 times and bottled it every time, excited to see the difference between the two. thanks everyone for the advice regarding the wheat and stuff. honestly the gain bill is a Kern River-Citra grain bill. I changed the Hops and addition schedule. I have Many great ipas/iipas available to me here in Michigan, and honestly removing myself as the brewer of this beer, and add a name like Bells to it, this easily would be the best beer iv ever tasted. thus the reason it is my most brewed beer.

Just did a gravity reading on this brew after 6 days in the primary fermenter at 66* , already down to 1.014 .I will give it another 6 days to let the yeast clean up before I transfer to a corney keg.
I used 14.5 lbs. of marris otter & Safeale o5 but followed the rest or the recipe , this tastes fantastic & I can't wait to see how much the dry hopping will change the taste .

Have you tried it with the MO and reg 2row? I haven't even thought to try morris. This time I added .5oz of galaxy hops at flame out as well tastes great. Dry hopping adds sooo much fruitiness .

M.O. was what I had on hand for a base grain . Next time I would like to try 1/2 m.o. & 1/2 golden promise to promote a strong malty backbone to match the hops .

I'm looking forward to the added punch from citra & mosaiac's fruitiness from dry hopping
, Hops where quite strong after the boil but settled down nicely after a weeks fermentation .

Curious to see what you think of the .05 galaxy at flameout does .

This is the first time using these hops , I would like to expand the hop schedule a bit & galaxy is a good one to try , I would be interesting to experiment with azacca as well as calypso .

Has anyone played around with the yeast on this Recipe? I might go for this but try a different one other then the California Ale

Has anyone played around with the yeast on this Recipe? I might go for this but try a different one other then the California Ale

What about Conan? Brulosopher did a side by side with what was previously his stated preferred yeast for IPA's and it seems the Conan/Vermont IPA yeast gives a much more full/fruity hoppiness that would I think play well with these two hops...

I tried to try the Vermont IPA, but I got an apparently dead yeast pack with the Heady ingredient kit I brewed recently...I'm going to try it (the Heady Topper clone) again sometime this year, and after reading the above link, I hope to give the VIPA/Conan another shake

What about Conan? Brulosopher did a side by side with what was previously his stated preferred yeast for IPA's and it seems the Conan/Vermont IPA yeast gives a much more full/fruity hoppiness that would I think play well with these two hops...

I tried to try the Vermont IPA, but I got an apparently dead yeast pack with the Heady ingredient kit I brewed recently...I'm going to try it again sometime this year, and after reading the above link, I hope to give the VIPA/Conan another shake

Woah. I had never head of this yeast. I'm very interested in ordering one of these! I may even use one of their wild strains....

Have something very similar now. Dry hop next week with 1oz citra, .5oz simcoe and .5 mosaic. No munich in mine and obviously simcoe added. Let you know in a few weeks.

Edit
Sorry..mis-read. Only used safe5.

I have a pound of mosaic hops. Do you think this recipe would work with just using mosaic?

Also what temp is the mash? What is expected OG, FG?

I have a beer on tap now that I used a mix of Citra and Mosaic with. Honestly, at first I thought the blend produced too much of a fruit forward flavor that was very orange'ish and really almost tasted like OJ. I joked about it being a breakfeast beer! BUT... After a few more weeks of conditioning that OJ character has faded and it's now quite delicious!

Mmmm Mmmm Good , Dry hopped in the keg while carbonating in the refrigerator 12 days only meant for 7 but life gets in the way , I will be making this again !

Back