Citranella XPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmm0f5

Reaction score
I'm looking to try the Hopburst technique on a Citra and Nelson Sauvin Extra Pale Ale. I'm not a fan of heavy crystal malted pale ales, so I was hoping to avoid a ton of crystal, but used the MO & C10 to get some background & color. Wheat is for head retention. Anyone have any thoughts on this before I brew this soon?

Malt Bill
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 52.2 %
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 34.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %

Hop Bill
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 13.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 13.7 IBUs

1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 8.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 8.5 IBUs

1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Thanks,
Tim

If you're not a fan of crystal, why not just leave it out all together?
Could substitute some vienna for a little extra maltiness (or Munich even). A whole pound of crystal would make this too sweet for my tastes (especially with the MO in there as well). YMMV

Nelson will dominate the Citra - i'd use closer to 2:1 citra:nelson if you want much of the citra flavor to come through. I did a Citra/Simcoe/Nelson IPA equal amounts, all late hops after 20min and the neslon still was the dominant flavor. great pairing though

def dry hop with each as well, they are each some of my favorite hops for dry hopping

I agree about the crystal as well, cut it back at the very least. I believe the lower lovibond crytal malts are supposed to be sweeter.

For me, 1:1 Citra:Nelson is great for late hops, but I like to do a FW or 60 min Citra as I find beers with only late hop additions somewhat cloying.

If you're not a fan of crystal, why not just leave it out all together?
Could substitute some vienna for a little extra maltiness (or Munich even). A whole pound of crystal would make this too sweet for my tastes (especially with the MO in there as well). YMMV

Agreed. 8% of crystal is a bit much, especially if you don't like the stuff. Munich would be a good sub.

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely sub in the Munich instead of the Crystal (not sure why I didn't think of that). I'll probably go ahead and dry hop with both as well (say 1oz of each?)

I'm going to try it once with just late hop additions. If it comes across as cloying, I'll try it again with some magnum or warrior up front for about 15 or so IBUs.

I haven't used much Maris Otter before. If I skipped the Munich/C10 all together and just used 50% Pale Male, 45% Maris Otter and 5% White Wheat, would there be enough malt to support 40 IBUs and the hop flavor?

Just thinking of making is super simple..

Back