American IPA Citra Single Hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispyvelo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 Days at about 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13 Days at 72F
Tasting Notes
Bursts of citrus, pine resin, orange peel, fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit
This recipe comes from Samuel Neitzke from BrewToad. It had great reviews so I decided to give it a try. Holy Hell...this beer is good.

Fermentables
  • 6lb Pilsen Light DME (boil)
  • 2lb Golden Light DME (boil)
  • 1lb Caramel Malt 20L (steep)
  • .5lb Caramel Munich 60L
  • .5lb White Wheat

Hops
  • 1oz Citra - 60min
  • 1oz Citra - 10min
  • 2oz Citra - 5 min
  • 2oz Citra 0 min
  • 4oz Citra (dry hop for 7 days after primary is done)

Yeast
Wyeast 1056

Taste and Aroma are phenomenal. Bursts of citrus and pine resin. Elements of orange peel and fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice. Nicely balanced, not bitter. In fact, Molly didn't know it was an IPA when she tasted - and she liked it! It has a sweet, honey, hoppiness that may be a little over the top for some. Not grassy or vegetal.

Check out this clip of my buddy tasting a bottle along side a Summit Pale that he brewed...this about sums it up :)

Citra Single Hop IPA Tasting Video

Fermentation temp IMO is too high for that yeast. also why such a long fermentation? 14 days primary with dry hop should be long enough. Also Zombie dust Clone is a great all Citra IPA with a really good malt bill.

If your going to post in the recipe section at least post the recipe

And your hyperlink doesnt work.

Sorry - I updated my original post with the recipe and a tasting video that works. Check it again!

Also - ideally fermentation temp should probably be in the 60's, but I didn't control the temp and my room was about 70. Came out great!

Where can you find these now? I go through Northern Brewer for stuff and they are out of the pellets.

How long did you folks leave this in the primary fermenter before moving to secondary? My hydrometer broke the other day so I'm trying this one by feel

Back