Citra simcoe ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onthebrew

Reaction score
does anyone use this combo a lot. I’m looking to do a west coast Pale ale and a hazy juicy pale both exclusively using these hops.

what ratios would people suggest for each? no other hops just this classic combo.

I did a knock off clone of Brewdog Elvis Juice that used only Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo. Pretty much equal quantities if I recall correctly. A portion of the Citra used a 60. And some reserved for dry hopping.

It was pretty decent. Unfortunately I don't have the amounts used and at what timings. I wasn't keeping good notes back then.

Brewer's Friend has some clones of Elvis Juice, but they have more variety of hops in those recipes. I was happy with the taste of the three used in mine.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/search/name:elvis juice

I’ve got Elvis juice on my to do list as it Happens. That’s got some Amarillo and mosaic as well as lots of zest in there. Looking to keep these two simple.

I had to do the Brewdog Elvis juice three times to get it where I wanted. Mostly just improving my practices. But I liked the hop combination right off the bat with my Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo only version of the recipe.

But for a similar taste of something that had more grapefruit flavor without the grapefruit, the single hop IPA with just Cascade hops added during the boil without dry hopping beat them all.

Brewdog Punk IPA, the 2007 - 2010 version is the current favorite. Though I substitute Cascade for the Ahtanum hops. Don't know if that makes much difference though. I only substituted because the place I got the rest of my hops from was out or Ahtanum. The Motueka hops adds some interesting notes

As for your 2 hop brew, if you don't have any other recipes to follow, then I'd just divvy up additions at 60, 30 and stuff a bunch in at 0 or whirlpool. I've not been much on dry hopping lately since I seem to be getting all the hop flavors I care for at the end of boil.

Not sure if one favors bittering first addition than the other unless maybe one is cheaper.

I like about 50-60% of the brew dog beers a lot but Elvis juice is definitely on the "aaaand down the drain it goes" list.

It used to be good a few years ago. One of my faves then when they scaled up they ruined it. Now the only way to get a proper elvis juice is to brew it yourself!

But for a similar taste of something that had more grapefruit flavor without the grapefruit, the single hop IPA with just Cascade hops added during the boil without dry hopping beat them all.

That’s surprising. I’m a fan of a cascade smash myself but taste wise it would be a fair way from EJ I think.

That’s surprising. I’m a fan of a cascade smash myself but taste wise it would be a fair way from EJ I think.
It wasn't the same mix of aroma and flavor notes, but I thought the Cascade only IPA I made had a better and stronger grapefruit flavor. At least for the stuff I identify as grapefruit notes.

I really enjoyed the single hop with Cascade. For a gallon brew, the 15 grams of hops were added 3 grams at a time at 60, 45, 15, 5 and 0.

I like the 2:1 approach when flavor and aroma hopping. Twice as much of the hop with the desired flavor. In my experience, this seems to keep the hops from coming across as generic, muddled “hop” flavor. Here, I’d go twice as much simcoe as citra, but that’s simply my preference.

For the west coast version maybe favour simcoe and for the hazy one favour citra. Or visa versus?

Back