Citra Saison??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_R

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at something a bit different from the average Pale Ale/IPAs I've been brewing, I've never done anything Belgian before but I need to use up the Citra and a friend gave me the yeast so I'm keen to have a crack at it! Completely open to suggestions; too hoppy or add more? Replace the carapils with something else? Too much dextrose, or not enough? Dry hops?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/citra-saison-20

12L batch, 65% efficiency
OG 1.061, FG 1.011, 6.6% ABV, 5 SRM, 32 IBU.

2.4kg 2-row
450g Munich 10L
200g wheat
200g Carapils
250g dextrose

4g Pacific Jade (13.1%) @60min
8g Citra (13.5%) @15
8g Citra @10
10g Citra @5

Danstar Belle Saison yeast

I'll probably start it off around 18-20C then ramp it up to the mid 20s. Someone suggested adding the dextrose later in the fermentation, good idea or not necessary?

I also understand that the yeast may actually finish a bit lower than the estimated FG, so it may be a bit boozier, guess that isn't a bad thing?!
:tank:

I did a citra-saison once. It turned out pretty good; it scored a 37 in a local competition (a brewer from Funkwerks gave it a 39!). Here is the recipe:

12 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 2 37.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [15.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 3 14.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [15.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [15.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

It was a 6-gallon batch that I split into two carboys (the other half being an ipa); for the saison, I fermented with a mix of French Saison 3711 and Brett B (5112). It ended around 1.002. It was a good beer, although if I were to do it again, I'd probably use a neutral bittering hop, such as magnum, and maybe target 20-25 ibu's with it. Then I'd probably use something like an ounce of citra at flameout, and an ounce in a dry-hop, and maybe try to tame it a bit. It came out around 7% abv. I brewed it almost 2 years ago, and have 3 bottles left-need to try one again, although when I had one 4-5 months ago, I was starting to pick up oxidation.

I think your recipe looks pretty solid (basically, close to what I'd do if I did it again). I'd skip the dextrose myself, just because that yeast is probably going to dry the beer out pretty well, and you may want to try a dry-hop.

Cheers Ted, how did you find the hop flavour with that much going in late? I've heard some people say it will be too much, others seem to love it. Guess I just need to brew it and see! I'll tweak my recipe a little and get the ingredients this weekend.

ddicker, any chance of sharing the recipe??

I did a saison with citra & amarillo recently, using W 3724, and I would say that something is missing in the hop profile to complement the yeast character. Saison yeast is peppery and citrusy (and from what i read, belle saison is fruitier than wyeast's belgian saison), and citra is, well, citrusy. When I will rebrew it, i'll add some european hop (maybe a noble one) in aroma to try balance the fruityness.

Cheers Ted, how did you find the hop flavour with that much going in late? I've heard some people say it will be too much, others seem to love it. Guess I just need to brew it and see! I'll tweak my recipe a little and get the ingredients this weekend.

The saison tasted completely different than the same wort fermented with a more neutral yeast. I found the citra almost un-recognizable because of all the yeast flavors, but I also had to let the beer condition for 3-4 months before it started to drink well. At around 6 months, it was pretty solid (the Brett probably had something to do with it). Like I said, I'd probably use less, maybe just an ounce at flameout and another ounce as a dry-hop if I did it again.

Here it goes:
citra rye saison
a Saison by dabigd60 (35)
Type
All Grain
Efficiency
70.0%
Batch size
5.5 gal
Boil time
60 min
Fermentables

NAME AMOUNT USE PPG
2-Row Brewers Malt 10.0 lb71 % Mash 37
Red Wheat 2.0 lb14 % Mash 38
Rye Malt 2.0 lb14 % Mash 29
Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
Citra United States 0.5 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 12.0%
Citra United States 0.75 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 12.0%
Citra United States 2.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 12.0%

Yeast

Belle Saison Yeast fermented in the 70's ( I do not ferment in my apartment, my dad is in charge of that)

Back